Mojave 10.14.5 Screen Saver & Logout Issues

EddieDDUB
New Contributor II

[Hello everyone. I've been having problems trying to get screen saver and logout settings to catch. My goal is to have screen saver and idle logout disabled. The reason for this is our student machines, if left idle while testing software (NWEA MAP browser) is open, causes the OS to freeze right when screen saver comes on. Priority is screen saver settings and logout settings is icing on the cake. I believe it is some kind of bug but to bypass this I just need to disable those settings.

I've tried different methods like sending custom config profiles using third party app (ProfileCreator) and defaults write scripts I've found online. As well as ones sent to me by Jamf support. Nothing has worked. I am curious to see what others have been using to get those settings to work on Mojave 10.14.5.

From Jamf Support:

1. Script to disable screensaver for currently logged in user:
#!/bin/sh 
currentUser=$(/bin/ls -l /dev/console | /usr/bin/awk '{ print $3 }') 
sudo -u $currentUser defaults -currentHost write com.apple.screensaver idleTime 0 
exit 0 
## end script
  1. Policy to execute command with Files & Processes payload (just fill in the Execute Command field).

defaults write com.apple.screensaver idleTime 0

7 REPLIES 7

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

I don’t know if this has any bearing on your issue but I saw the 10.14.6 Supplemental update was released that fixes some sleep issues on newer hardware. I noticed my new Mac mini lab seems to have issues waking from sleep and I’m going to try it later on today.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.idropnews.com/news/apple-releases-macos-update-with-fix-for-mysterious-sleeping-bug/113400/amp/

EddieDDUB
New Contributor II

Hmm that is interesting. I'll try upgrading and see if the issues persist.

EddieDDUB
New Contributor II

I upgraded to 10.14.6 and still getting the same issues.

ChrisTech
Contributor

Also having the same issue. Curious to see what you say. I am going to contact NWEA.

ChrisTech
Contributor

I called in - they are releasing a newer version of the Secure Browser soon, to address the security issues on first launch that 4.0.0.3 had. I'm hopefully going to be able to test it but they have not heard of the screensaver locking up. I'm going to play around with my test account and see what I can figure out also.

ChrisTech

EddieDDUB
New Contributor II

@ChrisTech I also called them a few weeks ago and they said they didn't have any updates related to this issue, but were informing their engineers about it. I did manage to get a config profile going for screen saver to at least bypass the OS locking up issue. I'll link here in case anyone wants it.

https://media.fentoncharter.net:5001/sharing/LGOXxxHQc

alboburg
New Contributor

Hi Chris,
thank you for sharing the link. However, it says the site cannot be reached.
Would you mind resending it.
Thank you