Restoring From Time Machine

adam_vu
New Contributor III

Hey guys,
I have 2 Macs Pro (Let's say MacA already enrolled and MacB in the scope). The user reported that MacA isn't working well, so I made a Time Machine backup of MacA, and restored in MacB.
However, it showed error "Device Signature Error - A Valid device signature is required to perform the action." on MacB when I ran "sudo jamf recon".

Is there any way to automatically enroll after restore? Please help !!!

The following steps I did:
1. Make a Time Machine backup of MacA to external hard drive.
2. Remove both Macs in Jamf.
3. It showed error when I directly restored to MacB at boot up, so I normally boot up MacB, enroll and use Migration Assistant.
4. Run "sudo jamf recon" and it showed the error.

I already tried the following steps and it still doesn't work.
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/21616/restoring-from-time-machine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

if ever doing a tm backup transfer, on both machines make sure jamf is uninstalled before you do the transfer by running the follow 2 commands in sequence.

1st

sudo jamf removeMdmprofile

2nd

sudo jamf removeFramework

have you tried installing a new quickadd package on Mac B?

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

if ever doing a tm backup transfer, on both machines make sure jamf is uninstalled before you do the transfer by running the follow 2 commands in sequence.

1st

sudo jamf removeMdmprofile

2nd

sudo jamf removeFramework

have you tried installing a new quickadd package on Mac B?

DBrowning
Valued Contributor II

you can run the following command:

sudo jamf reenroll -prompt

It will prompt for a JSS Account ( must have enrollment permission) and then a local account that has ssh permissions.

adam_vu
New Contributor III

Hey @Hugonaut , I haven't tried the quickadd package.
For your commands, do I need to remove profile on MacA, before making the backup?

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

@adam.vu Yes, both machines so Mac A before performing the TM Backup & Mac B if you had enrolled it prior to backup up as well. Then re-enroll the machine Mac B after TM Backup has completed/

mschroder
Valued Contributor

It depends on your plans for Mac A whether or not you should remove the profile/framework from it. If you want to continue to manage Mac A I see no need to remove the profile and later add it back.

What I recommend for Macs that have been setup via Migration Assistant / Time Machine (Mac B) is to run 'sudo jamf remove framework' and then enrol on the MDM.

I only see a need to remove the framework from Mac A in case the Mac leaves the organisation.

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

@mschroder great point

adam_vu
New Contributor III

@mschroder I already did your steps. Keep jamf on MacA, then removing framework on MacB, I run jamf recon again and it still show the error.

mschroder
Valued Contributor

@adam.vu What is not clear from your description is whether you enrolled Mac B again. And what does the MDM tell you about Mac A and Mac B? Are both known? Are the serial numbers, UDIDs and primary MAC addresses correct? How do you do your enrollment? What macOS versions do you have on Mac A and Mac B?