Smart Group for Microsoft Remote Desktop v10.3.0

mnapier
New Contributor II

What am I missing? I do this all the time yet I'm not finding my error. I've built a simple smart group.
Criteria is ..
( "Application title" is "Microsoft Remote Desktop.app" and "Application Version" is "10.3.0" )

I get zero results, yet I know I have clients with that version that have submitted inventory. Anyone have thoughts I where I'm missing it?8dd3bfa1572e4cf28ca0f008843ca892

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jared_f
Valued Contributor

@mnapier The reported application version in Jamf for MS Remote Desktop V 10.13.0 is 1638. Search with 1638.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

jared_f
Valued Contributor

@mnapier The reported application version in Jamf for MS Remote Desktop V 10.13.0 is 1638. Search with 1638.

mnapier
New Contributor II

Thanks Jared! Couldn't see the forest for all the trees. ;--)
I appreciate it!

jaystokes
New Contributor

Generally "Application Version" will refer to the application CFBundleShortVersionString, however, Jamf Pro appears to have a different rule for collecting inventory data for Microsoft products.

As far as I can tell, if the app CFBundleDisplayName contains "Microsoft" then Jamf Pro will collect CFBundleVersion instead. The inventory collection behaviour for Microsoft Remote Desktop changed with 10.3.0 because prior versions did not contain CFBundleDisplayName in the Info.plist.

Stevie
Contributor

I use an external patch management and spotted this yesterday so I created an Extension Attribute to get the short string within our patch management server. Within the patch management server I can use the EA for the criteria requirements and match the software version to 10.3.1 or 10.3.0. Within the JAMF Server when I use the Remote Desktop as a software title in the patch management section and only the known version is displayed.

#!/usr/bin/env bash
#################################################################################
# A script to collect the build version of Android Studio currently installed.  #
# If Microsoft Remote Desktop is not installed "Not Installed" will return back #
#################################################################################
RESULT="Not Installed"

if [ -f "/Applications/Microsoft Remote Desktop.app/Contents/Info.plist" ] ; then
    RESULT=$( /usr/bin/defaults read "/Applications/Microsoft Remote Desktop.app/Contents/Info.plist" CFBundleShortVersionString )
fi

echo "<result>$RESULT</result>"