Digital Barcode that Detects and Display's iOS Device Serial Number

agomes
New Contributor II

Hi All,

I was wandering if anyone has found a webpage or an app that will display the iOS's device serial number on the screen in the format of a 1D linear barcode where we can use our library scanners to quickly scan the devices for inventory purposes? Similar to the idea of having a barcode on your iPhone when going to the airport or a concert event.

Thanks,

Alex

11 REPLIES 11

H3144-IT
Contributor II

Why (?) with DEP & VPP, that no longer concerns me much - once the Device is powered up it starts to configure itself...

agomes
New Contributor II

It is for our inventory purposes when devices move from school site to school site.

Thanks

nvandam
Contributor II

jared_f
Valued Contributor

I would setup smart groups based on network addresses for each school. Just pull the info from the JSS.

atomczynski
Valued Contributor

I know it’s not exactly the answer you want but maybe it’s a good alternate solution.

At my previous org I had a specific PreStage for each physical building. I also would dictate the name of the device such as prefix-serial

Our prefix contained our District number followed by three letter building code filled by the serial, so it looked like this:
D205-LIE-SERIALNUMBER

I also had a policy to display this information on the lock screen. Staff devices were in a different PreStage so it looked like D205-STAFF-SERIALNUMBER.

I also would populate the asset tag field by using the MUT tool.

If a device was moved from building A to building B, remove from PreStage, add to PreStage, enroll.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

To answer part of the original question - several years ago Apple removed the ability for iOS developers to collect the serial number of the device, for privacy purposes. There were apps that presented the serial in the form of a barcode before that, but no longer.

m_donovan
Contributor III

Here is a JNUC video from 2017 that talks about setting up a QR code wallpaper with the serial number on iPads. Check around 23 or 24 minutes in. You may be able to modify it to use a different type of barcode.

Maxim
New Contributor II
New Contributor II

One possible easy and free option is to use a web clip. barscodeinc.com hosts a free web based bar code generator. Embed the serial number variable of $SERIALNUMBER in the URL used in the web clip config profile payload.

Example link:

https://www.barcodesinc.com/generator/image.php?code=$SERIALNUMBER&style=197&type=C128B&width=167&he...

6R36
New Contributor II

This is what worked for me. Had to change the $ sign with % on both ends.

https://www.barcodesinc.com/generator/image.php?code=%SERIALNUMBER%&style=197&type=C128B&width=667&h......

6R36
New Contributor II

6R36
New Contributor II

Sorry for any confusion the hyperlink above had some garbage in it that cause 25 to be added at the end of the serial number. The 25%0A should be removed. 

https://chart.googleapis.com/chart?chl=%serialnumber%&chs=450x450&cht=qr&chld=H%7C0