Multiple PPPC profiles or one big one?

Scotty
Contributor

Title says it all? Do you all make a giant PPPC profile for all your company apps and services or do you make 1 for each?

I am always leery of having too make Profiles? is there a downside to having a ton?

7 REPLIES 7

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

Granularity is King. It's best to make a specific profile for each individual setting / application / binary / preference / etc. This way if one little thing has a problem, you're not going to disrupt other system settings when revoking & re-deploying the new profile. (new profile being, specific single setting granular profile)

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

+1 for granularity of PPPC profiles. Odds are you'll be adding new ones as time goes on, and you're better off not creating one giant monolithic one. Remember that if you make a change the old profile gets ripped out before the new one is applied, and if you have one all encompassing PPPC profile and there's an error in an update you're not going to have anything installed.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

+2 to what is stated above. Keep your profiles granular. What @sdagley said about the old profile being removed before the updated one is applied is true, and if it fails to install you’ve left your Mac(s) holding the proverbial bag. And while I can’t say I have any direct evidence of this, I suspect large monolithic profiles have a higher tendency to fail to push down/install than smaller more granular ones.

Also, by splitting up your profiles, it allows you to use an a la carte method of pushing them out, letting you use the same profile to push to different target groups, and yet have them all receive a unique total set of profiles based on their OS version or whatever else you need.

Look
Valued Contributor III

+3 for granularity and exactly the same logic applies to just about anything in JAMF be it profiles, packages or scripts. Keep each piece as small and concise as makes sense and you rarely go wrong.
I pretty much only bundle things together if there some kind of technical requirement or not doing so is likely to be confusing for some reason.

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

@ScottSimmons it's not a big deal to have a ton of profiles, so far for Catalina I have 27 Configuration Profiles.

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

Matt_Roy93
Contributor

Troubleshooting will become a nightmare if you have one profile altering many things within Mac OS, we currently apply a few profiles during pre-stage enrollment process and apply the rest at enrollment complete.

Scotty
Contributor

Thanks all! Im moving that direction now.