Backup Solution

zake
New Contributor III

Hi Jamf Professionals,

Looking for some advise on a backup solution. Currently have 300 macs on JAMF Pro and I'm looking for a robust backup solution for each device. Looking for something that works well with JAMF and can sort of silently install on devices with minimal manual work. This solution would need to have some sort of admin console to manage licences and see reports on backup errors.

Any ideas.

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

I am a huge fan of Code42's CrashPlan. We have 140 licenses for our faculty and administration. Fit's all the above requirements, depending on how you want them to authenticate.

zake
New Contributor III

So far I've heard of BackBlaze and Code 42.

Any others that come to mind?

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

@zake I will agree with @Chris_Hafner Code 42 is a great backup solution for Macs. We just deployed this and it just works.

Read My Blog: https://www.ericsontech.com

abuehler
New Contributor III

@zake Also a happy Code 42 customer here!

cpominville
Contributor

Not familiar with Code 42. How would you guys feel with a Time Machine backup to a NAS?

zake
New Contributor III

Amazing thanks for ideas. I will explore Code 42? @abuehler @kericson @Chris_Hafner

macbrun
New Contributor III

On the subject of backup solutions - what kind of on-prem solutions are available? I know of GoodSync, but Code42 and BackBlaze appear to be cloud only (unless I'm missing something.) We're looking for something to handle over 800 Macs and Windows laptops (CrashPlan tops out at 200 then they say to look at their Enterprise product) Thanks!

We're just now implementing GoodSync. We like that we can push to either a local or remote server (or even a connected HD). We also like that the files will (should) be browsable individually, rather than having to restore an entire HD just to read one or two lost files from it. Pushing the GoodSync utility via MDM is odd, as they don't offer a .pkg. Instead, I wrote a little BASH to download GS's .sh script, chmod it, run it, and remove it. So far so good, but we're at the testing phase only.

T_Armstrong
Contributor

I would NOT depend on TimeMachine for any business critical use. Great/Fantastic for home users, but absolutely not enterprise-grade.

Personally, not a fan of Crashplan any longer, but very happy with Backblaze.

ega
Contributor III

We are very happy with the Code42 CrashPlan Enterprise product of ~1500 win/Mac/lin devices. Now that they have moved to server based deployment policies (in Code42 console not Jamf policy) the silent installs are much easier. I even have a deployment policy that uses a readonly account to lookup the macOS device and find the owner from the location inventory and use that as the backup owner.

ITEM93
New Contributor

Anyone used Acronis for MacOS backup?
How well does that integrate with Jamf?

KyleEricson
Valued Contributor II

@ITEM93 I have tried Acronis with a Mac server and it has been over 3 weeks now and it still hasn't backed it up yet. Working with support and data center and still has issues.

Read My Blog: https://www.ericsontech.com