Prevent users from connecting to guest SSID

gquattro
New Contributor III

Hello Everyone,

Looking to mock an SSID with a bad password to prevent users from connecting to an open network.

Does anyone have advice for achieving this via network profiles?

5 REPLIES 5

AdamCraig
Contributor III

Having it saved with a bad password may result in the user consistently getting on screen prompts that it cannot be joined. I just have a script that deletes the guest network if they are not currently on it that runs once a day. It has not solved the guest network woes, but it significantly reduces them.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@gquattro Not by using a network profile, but the approach I'd take if I really wanted to make sure someone didn't connect to a guest SSID would be to have a script that would check to see if the guest SSID was the active SSID, and delete it if so. I'd use a LaunchDaemon triggered by a network state change to run that script.

gquattro
New Contributor III

@sdagley @strayer

These are great ideas, do you guys know of a script that removes the guest network from the network drop down and the preferred wireless networks list all in one swing?

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

You can try something similar to what I do. See this post/thread for details https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/19092/remove-wireless-network-ssid#responseChild157523

AdamCraig
Contributor III

@gquattro I made some minor changes to it, but I'm like 90% sure I started off with the script that @AVmcclint posted above.