Preventing Install macOS Catalina.app from automatically opening when downloaded

horganj76
New Contributor II

Hello Everyone!

Has anyone been able to prevent the Install macOS Catalina app from opening automatically when downloaded as a Mac App Store App? Our organization is planning to deploy Catalina (albeit a little late), and I would like to have our users download the app as an App Store App instead of a pkg hosted on our jamf cloud instance. I would prefer this method since everyone is working from home, and I don't want everyone to download a 8.23 GB file from our jss at once.

Any advice?

7 REPLIES 7

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@horganj76 What's downloaded from the App Store is not necessarily the full installer. Apparently depending on the phase of the moon, you might end up with a stub version that downloads the required resources when it's run

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

Instead of pushing the App from the App Store, you could use softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer command. Create a policy that utilizes Files and Processes -> Execute Command. I would also do an inventory update at the end. Once the installer is downloaded, it will be moved to /Applications, but should not open.

guidotti
Contributor II

@RBlount I am not seeing the --fetch-full-installer command on the 10.14.6 version of softwareupdate.
I guess we cannot use that to go from Mojave to Catalina, huh?

Tribruin
Valued Contributor II

@guidotti I always forget that option was not offered until Catalina. Sorry, for the bad information.

boblauterbach
New Contributor

You can download it once, and add it to Self Service, or push it out with Jamf Remote

mhatt
New Contributor III

We are using the command:

softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 10.15.6

Unfortunately it still automatically launches the installer.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

If you're looking to download the Install macOS Catalina.app directly from Apple's servers, then Graham Pugh's erase-install will do that for you without actually starting the installer (and despite the name it also supports running the installer without erasing the Mac)