Mobile account cannot log in when offline

Not applicable

Dear all,

Server: JSSv8.1 running on a 10.6.4 XServe
Clients: 10.7.2
Problem: Takes a very long time to log into mobile account (30 mins to 1 hour) if the client is unable to see casper server.

I have deployed a few scripts to change some user settings, and censor softwares while clients are within campus. I began each script with something like the following to make sure there is a user logged in.

userName=ps aux | grep -v grep | grep Finder | cut -d" " -f1
if [ -z $userName ]; then echo "No-user-found" exit
fi

But since deployment, some users started having trouble logging into their mobile accounts at home, login process takes 30 mins to 1 hour after typing the password. Things will immediately get back to normal when they're back to campus.

I have checked users log, some didn't show any abnormality, but I found the following entries in a few users computers.

6/12/11 8:34:29.489 AM com.apple.launchd System: Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:10176 (25247):0
6/12/11 8:34:29.489 AM com.apple.launchd System: This API can only be used by a process running within an Aqua session.
6/12/11 8:34:29.490 AM osascript spawn_via_launchd() failed, errno=5 label=[0x0-0x1d01d].com.apple.systemevents path=/System/Library/CoreServices/System Events.app/Contents/MacOS/System Events flags=0
6/12/11 8:34:29.575 AM com.apple.launchd System: Bug: launchd_core_logic.c:10176 (25247):0
6/12/11 8:34:29.575 AM com.apple.launchd System: This API can only be used by a process running within an Aqua session.
6/12/11 8:34:29.576 AM osascript spawn_via_launchd() failed, errno=5 label=[0x0-0x1e01e].com.apple.systemevents path=/System/Library/CoreServices/System Events.app/Contents/MacOS/System Events flags=0

Any hint would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Kenneth Ho
ICT, RCHK

2 REPLIES 2

rmanly
Contributor III

Problem: Takes a very long time to log into mobile account (30 mins to 1
hour) if the client is unable to see casper server.

This should be addressed by upgrading to 8.2.

"*Changes to login and logout hooks.* Login and logout hooks now verify
that the JSS is available before performing management tasks. This change
addresses the delayed login that some computers experience when the JSS is
not available. There is also a new option in the Computer Management
Framework settings for displaying the progress of login and logout hooks to
the end user."

Ryan M. Manly
Glenbrook High Schools

Not applicable

Thank you! I will turn off login/logout hooks completely in JSS see if that would fix the problem; I was also experimenting with login/logout hooks last week and I am not sure the option was on or off before that.

And now that reminds me that I shouldn't even use $userName as my own variable anyway, perhaps that also confuses JAMF client somehow.

Cheers
Kenneth Ho
ICT, RCHK