Adobe Creative Cloud - Admin Rights

simon_brooke
New Contributor III

Hi All,

Our Adobe user base is around 300 and they do not have admin rights on their machines.

I changed the deployment package to Self Service to allow the non admin users to install updates.

If the users are already using the non admin Adobe Manager and then install the new Adobe Self Service one from Jamf Self Service, will this allow them to install updates with their non admin accounts.

Thanks
Simon

7 REPLIES 7

jackwilde
New Contributor

We recently had a similar problem where some users had a historic install of Adobe CC and the apps panel wasn't visible. I don't think the settings get overwritten when you reinstall or get removed during uninstall.

Those features are controlled by an xml file located at /Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE/Configs/ServiceConfig.xml

In order for non admin users to install from Adobe CC, SelfServeInstalls needs to be set to true in that xml file.

I wrote this script for our environment and made it available for users to run in Self Service. These should be the default values the Self Service install package uses but you can edit them suit. The script kills all Adobe processes so best to advise users to save any open Adobe documents before running.

#!/bin/bash

### This script sets the required XML values for Adobe on managed devices

## Write out the correct xml data to file
cat << EOF > /Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE/Configs/ServiceConfig.xml
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<config>
  <panel>
    <name>AppsPanel</name>
    <visible>true</visible>
  </panel>
  <panel>
    <name>FilesPanel</name>
    <masked>false</masked>
  </panel>
  <panel>
    <name>MarketPanel</name>
    <masked>false</masked>
  </panel>
  <feature>
    <name>SelfServeInstalls</name>
    <enabled>true</enabled>
  </feature>
  <feature>
    <name>BrowserBasedAuthentication</name>
    <enabled>false</enabled>
  </feature>
  <feature>
    <name>SelfServePluginsInstall</name>
    <enabled>false</enabled>
  </feature>
</config>
EOF

## Kill all Adobe processes
kill $(pgrep -i adobe)

## Launch Adobe Creative Cloud app as logged in user
loggedInUser=$(python -c 'from SystemConfiguration import SCDynamicStoreCopyConsoleUser; import sys; username = (SCDynamicStoreCopyConsoleUser(None, None, None) or [None])[0]; username = [username,""][username in [u"loginwindow", None, u""]]; sys.stdout.write(username + "
");')

sudo -u $loggedInUser open -a  /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Creative Cloud/ACC/Creative Cloud.app

exit 0

Malcolm
Contributor II

wish I had of found this earlier. thanks. @jackwilde

user-COsRtJCZXr
New Contributor

Slightly related to this, but we now no longer have a 'Configs' folder in the above-mentioned path. Therefore we don't have a serviceconfig.xml file to alter. Has this been relocated?

whiteb
Contributor II

I was about to rig something up in Composer to accomplish the changing of the .xml file, but this is way better. Props. Something is changing AppsPanel to not be visible for some reason, like CC Desktop app getting updating, not sure. It will be visible, then at a later date, won't be. Going to make this available in Self Service like you did.

I had to adjust the script just a tad for it to work. I had to put a forward slash between Application and Support as it wasn't modifying the file. I had to replace the contents of the .xml file as they've changed syntax a little bit in the past two years. I added a couple pkill commands as it wasn't actually closing Adobe CC. And I tweaked the part that is supposed to re-open Adobe CC, that wasn't working.

In our use case, we needed the script to fix the "You don't have access to manage apps; Permission from your IT administrator may be required to enable apps management" message that users get if 'AppsPanel' isn't set to true.

Even with the script working perfectly, the user still needs to sign-out and sign back into the CC app for the 'You don't have access...' message to get cleared. We have our packages setup correctly, it's like an update or something sets that value back to false for some reason. Still troubleshooting, just needed an easy fix people could run.

Below is tested to be working in Ventura 13.1:

#!/bin/bash

### This script sets the required XML values for Adobe on managed devices

## Write out the correct xml data to file
cat << EOF > /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/OOBE/Configs/ServiceConfig.xml
<config><panel><name>AppsPanel</name><visible>true</visible></panel><panel><name>FilesPanel</name><masked>false</masked></panel><panel><name>MarketPanel</name><masked>false</masked></panel><feature><name>SelfServeInstalls</name><enabled>true</enabled></feature><feature><name>BrowserBasedAuthentication</name><enabled>true</enabled></feature><feature><name>SelfServePluginsInstall</name><enabled>true</enabled></feature><feature><name>AppsAutoUpdate</name><enabled>true</enabled></feature><feature><name>AdobeFallbackForAUSST</name><enabled>false</enabled></feature><feature><name>AppsCategories</name><enabled>false</enabled><data><categories><category>beta-apps</category></categories></data></feature></config>
EOF

## Kill all Adobe processes
sudo pkill -f adobe
sudo pkill -f Adobe
kill $(pgrep -i adobe)

## Launch Adobe Creative Cloud app as logged in user
su -l $(ls -l /dev/console | awk '{print $3}') -c 'open -a /Applications/Utilities/Adobe\ Creative\ Cloud/ACC/Creative\ Cloud.app'

exit 0

Malcolm
Contributor II

Does any one know of a way to push creative cloud install without having to build a composer pkg? we don't have access to our admin side of creative cloud, as its managed by our government body for our government schools?

my composer version, is not great, the pkg quickly becomes not a suitable version, due to the sheer amount of updates from adobe.

You really need access to the Adobe Admin console. You can create packaged installers there. You can configure your packages there as well, such as allowing non-admin users to install / update apps, etc.

https://adminconsole.adobe.com/

Packages > Create a package

Create Universal packages there, set up how you want.

Also, don't create one monster package with all the apps in it, you want to break up apps into seperate packages. For labs, you'll probably want all the CC app installers so you can push all the CC apps you want.

For non-lab settings, you'll just push (or make available in Self Service) an Adobe CC Desktop app package that is set so standard users can login and download what they need.

But ultimately you need Adobe Admin console access to do all that. 

We use installomator to deploy creative cloud app