Simple question for relatively new JAMF Admin

MrBingham917
New Contributor II

Greetings fellow JAMFers, I am a fairly new Mac/JAMF admin, coming from the Windows world. I am trying to get a handle on doing scripting for these systems. I have tried to upload a simple script from our JSS Casper Admin, but it is coming up as a red script with the type "missing."

Question is- What is the simplest way of creating .sh scripts so I can upload them and deploy them to my users.

Sorry for such a simple question, but as they say, the only dumb question is the one not asked.

Thank you
Robert Bingham.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ernstcs
Contributor III

Hi Robert,

Welcome! I would venture to say that if you've dragged an SH file into Casper Admin and it shows as missing it never really uploaded it into the JSS, a possible permissions issue that the account Casper Admin uses to mount the Casper Share when it starts doesn't have write privileges. I imagine you've uploaded other packages though already?

If you browse to the CasperShare on the server itself do you see the SH file there? If you mount the CasperShare manually with the account Casper Admin is suppose to use can you drag the file into the scripts folder manually in Finder without issue?

What version of the JSS are you on and what is your JSS host OS?

Creating scripts is easy enough, can be done in something as simple as textedit in plain text mode and saving the file extension .sh

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ernstcs
Contributor III

Hi Robert,

Welcome! I would venture to say that if you've dragged an SH file into Casper Admin and it shows as missing it never really uploaded it into the JSS, a possible permissions issue that the account Casper Admin uses to mount the Casper Share when it starts doesn't have write privileges. I imagine you've uploaded other packages though already?

If you browse to the CasperShare on the server itself do you see the SH file there? If you mount the CasperShare manually with the account Casper Admin is suppose to use can you drag the file into the scripts folder manually in Finder without issue?

What version of the JSS are you on and what is your JSS host OS?

Creating scripts is easy enough, can be done in something as simple as textedit in plain text mode and saving the file extension .sh

MrBingham917
New Contributor II

Thanks for the quick reply. It does look like it didn't upload for some reason. Maybe because I was uploading from the JSS web version of Casper Admin.

As far as the version I'm running, I'm on 8.31, running on a 10.6.8 Xserve.

I knew it would be fairly simple, I am still used to the Windows world of being able to save-as any type of document.