LocateMe Lion Location Services

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Has anyone figured out the following on Lion?

Enable location services from the command line

add services or apps to the allowed list to determine location

the reason I ask is that we might need to find a few laptops as they seemed to have walked away. I want to use the LocateMe binary to find them.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

5 REPLIES 5

nessts
Valued Contributor II

well if it is disabled defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locationd Disabled -bool false
then
launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locationd.plist
then after that I cannot help much, but that will turn it on for you.

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Thanks!!

That is a start. Next off is to add the app without having to click the OK button.

Carlos
New Contributor

This is a pretty old post but I came across it as I Googled for this exact same type of process... rpotvin, were you able to enable Location Services if it was disabled and add LocateMe into the allowed list without having to click the OK button when it prompts? I am playing around with the same...

rob_potvin
Contributor III
Contributor III

Sorry didn't get it solved, at my previous job we started asking why tracking location was important and the privacy issues that came up when talking about it.

JayDuff
Contributor II

We had a MacBook Air walk last week. Was really hoping there was a way to do this. If anyone knows anything new, perhaps now that Sierra is out, that would be helpful. We've turned on DEP, and it did the job - the new user was able to reformat the computer, but it forced them to register with the JSS. It would be really helpful if we could track down our device.