Duplicate records

simonhpotter
New Contributor

We have a number of MBA clients that were originally imaged using ethernet dongles that when registered with the JSS are registering with the same ID, as a result for a trolley of 30 MBA units I can only ever get 1 record into the JSS. Any pointers to how I can remove any ID records from the device and re-recon so that I get a unique entry ?

Cheers

Simon

6 REPLIES 6

simonhpotter
New Contributor

Sorry, meant to say MBA platform is 10.7.2 and Capser version is 8.4

Joel_Peasley
Contributor
Contributor

Simon,

Thanks for reaching out to JAMF Nation regarding this issue. This issue with MBA is a known issue with our 8.4 version of the Casper Suite. This has been fixed in the latest version of the Casper Suite 8.43. Here is the download link for Casper Suite Version 8.43,
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/myAssets.html
Please upgrade your JSS to 8.43 to see if this resolves the issue. If it does not please contact your Account Manager to further assist you.

Thanks,
Joel

mikestanley
New Contributor

Hrmmm - we're running 8.6 and this is happening with a batch of MBA's I'm imaging right now. Every MBA gets JAMF Computer ID 14.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Are you imaging with an Ethernet adapter you haven't marked as removable?

mikestanley
New Contributor

No, I'm imaging over a Thunderbolt cable from a local repository on another machine. I am using a Thunderbolt Gig-E adapter after that, but I have the MAC address of that adapter marked as removable.

mikestanley
New Contributor

I seem to have overcome this issue, and when I have more time I'm going to go back and try to reproduce it so I can be sure of what fixed it.

Somehow the Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet adapter, after being properly ignored when imaging a batch of Retina MBP's, was popping up when imaging the MBA's.

One thing I noticed was that all of the MAC addresses in inventory, with the exception of the TB Gig-E, had lowercase letters. The TB Gig-E adapter, as I had entered it manually, had uppercase. I changed it to lowercase and the next MBA I imaged, and two more after that, showed up as separate entries in the inventory.

Problem is I don't know for sure if that fixed it, as I did a couple other things while on the phone with my account manager. It doesn't seem to make sense, but then again, it also doesn't make sense that Casper translates 00:AA:11:BB:22:CC into 00.AA.11.BB.22.CC either, but didn't transform the case on its own from AA to aa, when 00.aa is clearly the format it uses for display in the inventory.

Anyway, problem seems to be gone now. Thanks for the responses.