Firefox updates on User Side

MrBingham917
New Contributor II

Hello fellow JAMFers, I am having an issue with Firefox, and it's multiple recent updates. My users are getting the prompt to update through the application, but it hangs indefinitely. Have any of you had any luck trying to get this to work on machines using networked accounts?

Or is it in my best interest to blow out and reinstall when update time comes around?

Thanks a bunch

Robert Bingham. Systems Engineer

4 REPLIES 4

bajones
Contributor II

In order to prevent Firefox from checking for updates on user computers, i change one file in Firefox.app.

Open /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/defaults/pref/channel-prefs.js in a text editor and change

pref("app.update.channel", "Release");

to

pref("app.update.channel", "none");

In my experience, this prevents Firefox from updating (or notifying user that updates are available) by having it check a nonexistent release channel for updates.

(I'm pretty sure this goes without saying, but you would make this change before packaging and deployment)

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

"Nuke and Pave" is the approach that I think most folks take when updating Firefox. Shut off the internal update mechanism (such as how bajones suggested) and handle updating through Casper (or Munki - hi Nate! ha)

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

ha… nice, jared.

you should check out munki for your new gig, if only for testing. you'll dig it.

here's a completely unscripted (and you'll see why) screencast i did awhile back: http://vimeo.com/23595634.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

I just remove the updater app within the app bundle in Composer and works fine.