Self Service Monitoring - troubleshooting

DanSloan
New Contributor

We are just getting started with self service. Some users are saying they don't see the app in self service. Short of remoting in, is there a way we can see that a specific computer should be showing the app in self service? The Policy trigger is set to none (or Self Service Only), so it doesn't show up in policy logs.

5 REPLIES 5

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Stupid question, but is the option to "Allow policy to be used in Self Service" checked under the Self Service tab in the policy? I only ask because for as long as I've been using the feature, I every so often forget to check that on and then wonder why its not showing up. Doh! Just setting the None (or Self Service Only) option makes it default to "None" unless that option for SS is also on.
Also be sure that the SS policy either has an icon and is displayed on the Main page, or that users are searching for it under the categories if its not.

If all the above is set, how is the policy Scoped to the affected systems? If using Smart Groups, you may need to make sure the systems are in the group.

DanSloan
New Contributor

Allow policy... in Self Service is checked. Learned that already :-)
this does work with most users... I really think it is a user issue, not a policy issue, but am trying to figure out a way to check it before contacting the user.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Yeah, I figured you probably already had that on, but just checking. : ) I don't know of a way to check what you're looking for, without actually logging in to Self Service as them or being on their system. Is it set so users must log into Self Service, or does it just come up with no login needed? If the former, be sure the "Anonymous login is available" setting isn't the one chosen in the 'Computer Management Framework Settings > Self Service > End User Authentication' section. If it is, they could be using the anonymous login, which could prevent them from seeing all assigned policies in the app.

Other than that, not really sure of a way to confirm it. Maybe someone else does though.

PeterClarke
Contributor II

You may need to check other issues too such as some group memberships

I have Self Service working OK…

In ONE case I have (By Design) a Self Service app that MOST people CANNOT see and that ONLY those who are ALSO members of an additional STATIC group can see…
-- This is exactly what I wanted in this case…

But I wonder if you might have something similar - by accident ?

In My case for Users to SEE this particular Self Service app they HAVE to be members of a particular 'Approved' Group…

(This was done because we only have a limited number of licenses for that particular application
– while we also wanted to make it available for Self Service)

Jason_Lieble
New Contributor
New Contributor

I've noticed you've been using the term "app", are we referring to mobile device Self Service or OS X?

If this is OS X, what type of app(s) are not showing up (scripts, .pkg, .dmg etc)

There isn't a native way to tell which users are seeing which apps, outside of how the scoping is done and how the policy is setup on the JSS side. Sometimes we'll see apps take a little bit longer to show up on some machines than others, but usually not long enough to cause a concern..

If this starts to happen too often or is causing significant problems, please reach out to an account manager and get it escalated through support so we can get hands on with the issue and get you up an running smoothly.

Regards,
-Jason