Sophos Installation Woes

MrBingham917
New Contributor II

Hello everyone! Our CSO has tasked us with installing Sophos(V7.3.9) onto our iMacs on our network. Our consultant has created an MPKG that has our settings included within it. I am trying to install it onto a test machine and I have had little to no luck on anything. I can successfully click through the install, but with 50+ machines to hit, that would be a little tedious.

I have taken the MPKG and uploaded it onto Admin.
I have set it to FEU and FUT.

Policy install/Imaging- I can't get it to install. The logs state that it can't find the directory "/Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads/Sophos Anti-Virus.mpkg" and exits.

The permissions for that are system RW ad that is it. I don't know if it would be in my best interest to script out a pre-install permission change/ownership script for that directory and have a postinstall revert to the original settings.

Composer- When I add it as a source, there are a slew of added scripts that come out as gibberish.

I always thought that MPKG's were supposed to run with little to no modification.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Robert.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

In my experience, mpkgs can be finicky. Try blowing the permissions down through your CasperShare and see if that helps.

Also, try forcing AFP/SMB distribution on the policy if you're currently using HTTP/S. I've seen that help.

Lastly, FEU/FUT will only work on DMG packages, not PKG. Not that I think that's your problem, but don't expect something to end up in the user folder as you're using an MPKG.

View solution in original post

pbenham
Contributor

Are you having trouble with the package as part of imaging a machine, or as part of a policy (or both)? I agree that you should propagate the permissions on your Casper share.
Typically I just upload the mpkg from out Sophos distribution point into Casper Admin and make sure it is set to install on reboot - otherwise the scripts that run during instalation can't run . (see pics)

external image link

external image link

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

In my experience, mpkgs can be finicky. Try blowing the permissions down through your CasperShare and see if that helps.

Also, try forcing AFP/SMB distribution on the policy if you're currently using HTTP/S. I've seen that help.

Lastly, FEU/FUT will only work on DMG packages, not PKG. Not that I think that's your problem, but don't expect something to end up in the user folder as you're using an MPKG.

pbenham
Contributor

Are you having trouble with the package as part of imaging a machine, or as part of a policy (or both)? I agree that you should propagate the permissions on your Casper share.
Typically I just upload the mpkg from out Sophos distribution point into Casper Admin and make sure it is set to install on reboot - otherwise the scripts that run during instalation can't run . (see pics)

external image link

external image link

MrBingham917
New Contributor II

@Jared- I will try the AFP/SMB option. Thank you. @Pbenham- I am doing it for both. I have changed the settings as per your screenshot, but it just sat on the package for half a second and went to the next item on the list.

As for propagating the permissions, I guess I will have to give Support a call. Thanks again gents.