submit inventory reports/check in for policies frequency

dzmudzki
New Contributor

During installation process we specify how often we want computers and mobile devices to submit inventory reports to the JSS as well as how often we want computers to check in for policies.

Is there a way to check the values once they were set?
Is there a way of changing these settings later on, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

in the Policy section of your JSS there should be a policy called "Update Inventory" which is set to whatever interval you chose during setup. It gets created automatically and that is your full blown inventory submission policy for your computers. Modify that to whatever you want if you need.

Second, under Settings > Computer Management Framework Settings, you'll see something called "Client Check In Frequency", which again is set to what you chose during setup. Change it there to something else if you need.

If memory serves me, there is a way to choose something other than what appears in the drop down menu, but I could be wrong, and I can't think of how to do that at the moment.
Edit: OK, I remember now, go to https://your.casper.server/tasks.html and you'll see more options on the check in task that you can edit. Most of the time you'll want to leave that as is, but its there (semi hidden) if you need it.

Similarly, for mobile devices, look under Settings > Mobile Device Management Framework Settings to see the inventory submission settings, typically set to once every day. There is no real "check in" policy like on Macs because iOS devices must get directed by the Apple Push Notification Service to check in with your JSS, which you can of course trigger from your JSS, but its not the same as with Macs.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

in the Policy section of your JSS there should be a policy called "Update Inventory" which is set to whatever interval you chose during setup. It gets created automatically and that is your full blown inventory submission policy for your computers. Modify that to whatever you want if you need.

Second, under Settings > Computer Management Framework Settings, you'll see something called "Client Check In Frequency", which again is set to what you chose during setup. Change it there to something else if you need.

If memory serves me, there is a way to choose something other than what appears in the drop down menu, but I could be wrong, and I can't think of how to do that at the moment.
Edit: OK, I remember now, go to https://your.casper.server/tasks.html and you'll see more options on the check in task that you can edit. Most of the time you'll want to leave that as is, but its there (semi hidden) if you need it.

Similarly, for mobile devices, look under Settings > Mobile Device Management Framework Settings to see the inventory submission settings, typically set to once every day. There is no real "check in" policy like on Macs because iOS devices must get directed by the Apple Push Notification Service to check in with your JSS, which you can of course trigger from your JSS, but its not the same as with Macs.

Casti_IS
New Contributor

I would love to make the push a web clip type optional in the store as in a user can request to retrieve updated content on demand. I find it a pain that changes are not instantaneous for mobile devices.