MDM won't install on Supervised iPads with a separate Wireless profile

Michael_Meyers
Contributor

I have my iPads Supervised and the wireless profile will install. When I add the MDM enrollment profile, I get an error saying "Can't Install Profile". Every time I apply the changes, the wireless profile reinstalls but is not enabled when the MDM profile tries to install. I understand that if I uncheck the wireless profile after it is installed, that it will uninstall it.

What am I doing wrong? I need to get these enrolled and don't want to do it manually, since we have 330 more coming in this summer for carts?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

9 REPLIES 9

FastGM3
Contributor

Hi Mike,

Does your profile install manually using iPCU on an un-supervised iPad? If not maybe something is setup wrong in the profile itself causing it to error out.

If it does install then you know it's something else. It's hard for me to guess what's going on after that, but I've had similar issues. Follow these steps carefully and it will work.

1) Connect an iOS device to a machine running Configurator.
2) In the Prepare task area, leave the device name blank and turn Supervision on. Do not select any other options and don't install any profiles.
3) Click the Prepare button beneath the settings.
4) Once the process has completed, manually continue through the activation process on the iPad itself *without* configuring a Wi-Fi network until you get to the Home screen.
5) In Configurator, switch over to the Supervise tab, right-click the device you've just Supervised and set up, and select "Back Up..." from the drop-down. Save a backup.
6) Once your backup is saved, right-click it and select Unsupervise from the drop-down. This will restore it to factory defaults. Once unsupervision is complete, unplug the device.
7) Go to the Prepare tab, choose your naming convention, and turn Supervision on. 8) Leave iOS set to Latest, and for Restore, select the backup we just created.
9) In the Profiles pane, select your Wi-Fi and enrollment profiles.
10) Hit Prepare and connect your device

This will restore the backup and do a silent install of the profiles. You only need to do steps 1 thru 7 once on one iPad. The rest of your iPads can start at step 8 thru 10.

Good Luck,
Chuck

John_Sutcliffe
New Contributor III

Good morning Mike - have you looked at our guide on using configurator with Casper? The title of the doc suggests it applies in a 1 to 1 situation, but the steps apply generally to all uses of Configurator with Casper.

http://jamfsoftware.com/libraries/pdf/white_papers/One-to-One-Deployment-of-iOS-Devices-with-the-Cas...

It walks through the steps of getting a Wifi profile working along with having the device enrolled.

nextyoyoma
Contributor

We are having the exact same issue. We have already followed the steps outlined in the white paper. There is no problem with getting the WiFi profile to work. If you install it by itself, it works fine. However, when you try to add the MDM profile, it works about 50% of the time. The rest of the time you get a yellow triangle graphic with "Can't install profile" error message.

Michael_Meyers
Contributor

Chuck and John - Neither one of your solutions worked. I'll have to call support. It looks like the wireless doesn't fully engage before the MDM profile tries to install. The wireless profile works on its own when it is supervised.

Thanks for trying!

Mike

nextyoyoma
Contributor

Just an update on my situation - looks like when starting fresh, I can never get the MDM profile to install either. The success I was having was with some that I had manually configured some things on. Basically, as it is, we will still have to touch every device to get this to work.

FastGM3
Contributor

Sorry to hear you guys are having problems. The instructions I posted where given to me from a JAMF SE, Jeff Strauss. I too was having problems, and the one to one white paper didn't really help in my case. Not until I followed Jeff's steps did I get it to work.

I just did 10 more supervised new out of the box iPads. All silent, I never touched the iPad screen once. IPad setup was complete, wifi profile complete and the devices were enrolled into the JSS.

I'd be happy to forward you guys the actual emails, believe me I struggled with this as well. Feel free to shoot me an email ctaylor@sanjuan.edu

Chuck

john_miller
Contributor

Hey Gang

Another thing I've noticed in my playing around with Configurator is that I had to be specific about the order in which I "checked" the boxes for the profiles to install. That is, I had to make sure to "check" the Wifi profile first, and then the Enrollment Profile second.

The other issue I have seen is more around the WiFi payload, and the wireless configuration itself. I saw intermittent behaviors with the WiFi if the network had a password. The WiFi payload would deploy with IPCU, but wasn't able to deploy with Configurator and enroll the device. When I changed to a WiFi network without a password, I was able to enroll using Configurator silently.

I hope that helps the situation!

nextyoyoma
Contributor

We found a pretty good (but not perfect) solution to this problem. I did a write-up on it here:

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4695

Sandy
Valued Contributor II

Hi!
I do not currently have supervised devices, but am exploring the idea due in part to Casper Focus.
I was having much trouble getting my tethered enrollment profile (for shared carts) to install in Apple Con. , and finally came up with this edit to the 10 steps provided by Chuck a few messages above (Thanks Chuck!)

Due to some connection lag with our wifi or some other hoodoo, it was not connecting fast enough and the profile would fail. I know they were installing in the correct order, and I know the profile was valid as I could manually install it in Prepare mode.

Use Steps 1-8 just as shown above, (and follow them exactly :) but then I modified as below

9) In the Profiles pane, configure your Wi-Fi profile, and check its box for install. Import your enrollment profile (downloaded from the JSS) but do not check it.
10) Hit Prepare and connect your device, allow it to finish
11)With Device still connected, go to supervised tab: leave wifi profile checked, and add a check to enrollment profile, hit refresh
This hardly adds any time to the setup and then repeating steps 8-11 got all my test devices supervised and enrolled.

For 1 to 1 I would skip the enrollment profile and have the kids OTA enroll their supervised devices using their AD creds. which will allow teachers to manage iPads in Casper Focus by username
Sandy