Installing NiK plugins

jkent
New Contributor

I'm currently installing the Nik plugins for CS5. The package I'm creating via composer snapshot includes serialization. When I push out to other computers the serialization disappears on the target computer... as if it was never captured in composer.

I've tried a restart after install to no avail.

Unfortunately, manually entering a serial# after pushing out the package to the target computer results in an error ("error code (-151)") but that's a question for their customer support.

If anyone else has had success with NiK I'd love to hear any ideas.

2 REPLIES 2

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Honest question, but are you certain the serialization is included in the package you've built? Is there a file it gets stored in? I don't use the NIK plug-ins so that's why I'm asking.
It sounds like either the serialization isn't really in the pkg, or, is it possible the serialization file is encoded to the hardware it was created on, like using the MAC Address or Hardware UUID. Some software installers do this, and I do know that the NIK plug-ins are a little on the pricey side, so perhaps they're doing something like this?

nkalister
Valued Contributor

I believe the Nik plugins actually do an online activation, don't they? I remember a crack for them that a user made me aware of a couple of years ago, and the crack had logic in it to foil the phone home.
IIRC, the data being set up the wire did include a MAC address.