CS6 Master Collection wont deploy

mintzd01
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi Guys,

I know a lot has already been said on this but I am at a complete brick wall.

I created a master collection installer from aamee. I followed the jamf paper on this. When running via policy it fails and tells me to contact the developer.

I see people are getting mixed results on this subject. I know of users who deploy with no issues at all.

Any new ideas or help would be appreciated.

I have tried reading all the posts on the jamf nation but nothing has helped.

Thanks Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mintzd01
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi

I seem to have solved it. I did tick the ignor conflict pane. here is the fix:

Basically the every15 trigger runs more than once per computer so as the second one runs ( even though you specify once per computer) it downloads and over writes the installer hence it fails.

Casper remote works fine as does the login trigger.

Strange one I know.

Dam

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

Daniel, did you make sure to click the ignore conflicting process otherwise it will fail if you have Safari open or other applications open.

mintzd01
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi

I seem to have solved it. I did tick the ignor conflict pane. here is the fix:

Basically the every15 trigger runs more than once per computer so as the second one runs ( even though you specify once per computer) it downloads and over writes the installer hence it fails.

Casper remote works fine as does the login trigger.

Strange one I know.

Dam

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

I just advertise them through Self Service to the end users that are licensed to install it. We use it in conjunction with SCCM Xpert.

Matt
Valued Contributor

We do the following:

Package with the Adobe tool, serialized, ignore conflicts, and pointing to our Adobe SUS.
Package a dummy receipt with the serial hashed for tracking.
Create a Self Service policy that installs both.
Create a smart group tracking the hashed package for licensing and audit purposes.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Adobe has an AAMEE forum up, might want to post there if you need a response from Adobe engineers:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/download_install_setup/creative_suite_enterprise_deployment

--
https://donmontalvo.com

PeterClarke
Contributor II

SOLUTION: CS6 & AAMEE Vn 3

Hi, – I was having problems getting CS6 to install via AAMEE3 - too

Spent the day looking at this…
Tried installing manually from the AAMEE output - to check - installed with no problems – BUT the automation was FAILING

I was seeing the error message complaining about trying to install at "/"
even though I choose "Standard Location", and another time I chose: "Custom Location: "/Applications"

The Solution ? -- Change the JAMF Cycle Time from 15 minutes to 1 hour
– What was happening, -- was that it was trying to re-install before the first installation had completed.

Now it has time to complete…

Hope that's helpful to others…

PeterClarke
Contributor II

Actually, I am slightly surprised that JAMF does not have some sort of internal locking mechanism - such that an install is not reset before it has a chance to complete.

If such a mechanism existed - it would also need a get-out clause in case something went wrong - eg something like: max of 2 hours before system reset to allow a re-install to be attempted if item install lock was still engaged.

The "Work around" for now is the set the JAMF Server Cycle time to a long-enough that particular long-installs can complete.

The other method, would be to chop-up installs into more - and smaller-parts.

PeterClarke
Contributor II

Seems I may have jumped the gun on the 'Solution'
YES the JAMF Cycle time DOES need to be long enough…

BUT it seems my CS6 Install ONLY works OK – if I am reinstalling the Casper Client

If I am NOT reinstalling Casper Client - and just trying to Update via a POLICY
Then I am still seeing a FAILURE to Install with Error Message Can't install at root level "/"

Even though AAMEE3, choice was "Default Location"

Also tried with AAMEE3, Choice of Custom Location: "/Applications"
-- it STILL Errors out with can't install at "/"

BUT if I reinstall the Casper-Client THEN the CS6 install works…

-- So sounds like a BUG in Casper's handling… ??

The Install path works in one case but does NOT work in the other case…

NB I am Using Casper Vn 8.52, with an AFP share point, running from Apple OSX 10.6.8 servers.

Any suggestions as to HOw I can get CS6 install working via a POLICY – without it error-ing out with invalid install path problems ?

PeterClarke
Contributor II

Addendum:

Forgot to say: This issue is when trying to do a CS6 instal via POLICY onto a Snow Leopard Client. (I haven't yet tried with Lion Client)

PeterClarke
Contributor II

ALSO – If I drag the CS6_install.pkg to the local machine, and just double click to install Manually - then it installs correctly without any issues…

This means that the install path issue, is definitely being caused by Casper…
– Which appears to suggest that there may be a BUG in Casper's handling of the CS6 master series during installation via POLICY.

The Policy path is somehow getting the destination wrong…

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Reading my post would have saved you lots and lots if time!

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4482

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@PeterClarke - is your CS 6 installer wrapped in a DMG, or is it just a PKG file out of AAME?

I've tried on two different machines, one SL and one Lion, and I've been able to successfully install CS 6 Master to both via policy. My CS 6 installer is a PKG file.

I used the following settings in AAME to create:
- Unchecked AIR for Apple iOS Support
- Checked End User License, Product Improvement, Disable Air
- Ignore conflicts
- Update Mgr disabled

In Casper I simply setup a policy to run Every15 with that package scoped to my machines.

What I witnessed on the client machine was that once the JAMF binary started the install, the every15 trigger did not fire again until the install was complete (verified by checking /var/log/jamf.log). So I'm not certain why you would need to change your check-in schedule to deploy CS6.

I realize my environment may be different than yours, but I'm just not seeing the same results that others are stating.

My thought is that you are wrapping in a DMG and deploying that way. If I have time tomorrow, I will test that method of deployment.

Just curious about this, that's why I'm asking, since I'll have to do widespread deployment later this year most likely.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Oh, and I did just drop that PKG file, along with the CS_6_Master_uninstall.pkg file, into Casper Admin.

PeterClarke
Contributor II

Hi, (to Stevewood) - It's a straight PKG, generated from AAMEE Vn 3.

– It's not a DMG… (Though I was beginning to think that may be a better choice)

- As Said, If I try a Manual install - Works OK - So PKG must be OK…

– If I try to get Casper (8.52) to instal it via Policy – it tries to install it at the wrong location "/" - and fails after 10 minutes.

Casper Policy is: "Install", rather then "Cached / Install"

AND I am using the Exact same settings for AAMEE as you mention above…

And I did drop them into Casper Admin…
-- Not sure if I ticked the 'Product Improvement" though…?
-- I'll try again tomorrow - got sidetracked today on something else.

I also found though that an every15, failed - I had to extend it to 1-Hour
(And I am using gigabit ethernet)…

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I thought these installers required to be on the local volume... So therefore require to be cached then installed.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@bentoms I wonder also, isn't the concensus also is to not use HTTP.

Is AFP/SMB being used?

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Gigabit here as well....hmmm....

When you do get a chance to try again, on the machine that is installing via policy, open up a terminal window and do a "tail /var/log/jamf.log" and see if the every15 trigger is trying to run while it is installing. This is what I see in the log on the computer I did the test install:

Wed Jul 18 13:29:03 TechTester jamf[43856]: Checking for policies triggered by "every15"... Wed Jul 18 13:46:39 TechTester jamf[47607]: Checking for policies triggered by "every15"... Wed Jul 18 13:46:39 TechTester jamf[47607]: Executing Policy Install CS_6_Master_20120706_Install... Wed Jul 18 13:49:47 TechTester jamf[47607]: Installing CS_6_Master_20120706_Install.pkg... Wed Jul 18 14:24:37 TechTester jamf[47607]: Successfully installed CS_6_Master_20120706_Install.pkg. Wed Jul 18 14:28:12 TechTester jamf[60227]: Checking for policies triggered by "every15"... Wed Jul 18 14:30:50 TechTester jamf[60451]: Checking for policies triggered by "every15"...

So while the install was happening, the every15 trigger did not go. In fact, if you try to force the trigger while it is running, you will get an error message indicating the trigger is already running:

jamf policy -trigger every15

HTH

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Ben I didn't do a cache and install, just a straight install. In my experience, the only reason I was doing a cache and install was so my users were not waiting for the copy then the install. So I would cache the app to the machine ahead of time and then trigger the install on logout.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Sorry I thought it would fail when trying to install from any volume that's not the local one.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

Only thing that worked for me was the policy, dmg and script. That's enough for me for now, I want to keep what little hair I have left :)