Adobe CS6 permission problems?

tls2t
New Contributor II

I have created a new CS6 package to deploy via Casper Imaging, and Self Service. I've followed Jamf's white paper and made sure to disable AIR, and ignore conflicts.

I'm getting some kind of weird permission problem with the package I create. If I double click on the package on the desktop (where I created it), I can run it just fine. If I stick it on an external drive, I can install it on any Mac.

BUT, if I copy it to the CasperShare (using Casper Admin, or manually as suggested by tech support), I can't deploy it. C.I. finishes almost immediately, having failed to copy it to a target machine. If I mount the share, and try to manually copy the file, I get an error telling me that I don't have permissions to do so.

I have double-checked, and I have proper permissions for both the share (I can install any other package, EVEN CS 5.5), and at the suggestion of tech support, have even run

sudo chmod -R 755 /path/to/CS6.pkg

to no avail. I've even recreated the package using Adobe's tool several times.

Hopefully someone out there has some idea what I could try. I'm stumped.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

david_kennedy
New Contributor
New Contributor

Sounds very similar to the SMB issue Don was describing. Shouldn't be an issue if it's an AFP share but you might try wrapping the AIMEE created pkg in a dmg or recreating the pkg with Composer as described in the thread.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

SMB share?

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=161

--
https://donmontalvo.com

tls2t
New Contributor II

@don,

Nope, strictly AFP. No Windows here, thankfully. :)

david_kennedy
New Contributor
New Contributor

Sounds very similar to the SMB issue Don was describing. Shouldn't be an issue if it's an AFP share but you might try wrapping the AIMEE created pkg in a dmg or recreating the pkg with Composer as described in the thread.

Kevin
Contributor II

There are a couple of things to check when using AAMEE to build your packages (from the administration guide…):
• Disable Adobe AIR® components in the package. (This option is displayed on the Configuration pane.)
Leaving AIR components enabled limits your deployment options. Packages with AIR components enabled can only be deployed with a login policy, during imaging, or using Self Service. Packages with AIR components disabled can be deployed at any time.
• Configure the package to ignore conflicting processes. (This option is displayed on the Configuration pane.)
These can both cause the install to fail using JAMF deployment methods, but the installer .pkg installs normally if double-clicked.

tls2t
New Contributor II

Thanks for the help everyone. As soon as I used the script in the Resource Kit, and wrapped the .pkg in a .dmg, it installed just fine.

Weird, but hey, it worked.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@barret55 The AAMEE generated PKG installers have some aliases that break on SMB shares, as it was explained to us on the AAMEE forum.

I kind of like this delivery method, except that there is no way to leverage the DMGs at imaging time. :(

--
https://donmontalvo.com

tls2t
New Contributor II

@donmontalvo

What is weird for me is that I'm not using any SMB shares for anything. My casper server is strictly AFP.

But hey, if it works, it works. I can't complain! :)