Lion and Restricted Software

lpnicholas
New Contributor

Is anyone else having trouble with the restricted software list in Lion? I'm running JSS 8.52. I'm trying to block the App Store. I removed all MCX settings for testing purposes to see if that was conflicting, but it still does not work. I'm banging my head against the wall. Anyone have any tips??

THANK YOU!
-lauren

8 REPLIES 8

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

We are blocking it, process its looking for

App Store

OSX Lion, 8.52

TimT
Contributor

Also having issues trying to block App Store. Have added App Stoe.app as the process to kill with no conflicting MCX's and no exempt computers/groups.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Try just adding it as "App Store", not App Store.app. The general rule, with some exceptions out there, is use the process as it shows up in Activity Monitor. When I run the Mac App Store and look in Activity Monitor is shows as just "App Store"

TimT
Contributor

Thanks. I have tried both ways but still no go.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

interesting. I'll have to test that out to see what results we get here. We're not blocking the Mac App Store here.
What OS and JSS version are you using here?

As an aside, in Mountain Lion Software Updates are handled through the Mac App Store, so this is going to be quite an interesting 'development' in some environments. Why Apple chose to move it out of the very reliable and predictable Software Update.app I don't know, but I'm ready to begin cursing them pretty soon.

TimT
Contributor

We are running 10.7.4 and JSS 8.52.

Centralising software updates through App Store was probably going to be on the cards. I can see headaches.....

lpnicholas
New Contributor

I too have tried both App Store and App Store.app -- still nothing. JAMF cannot replicate my issue either. Waiting for GM of v8.6 which is supposed to fix this. I still don't know what the issue could be. It just will not kill it... actually it won't kill any of the apps on the blacklist. Strange...

adkinsan
New Contributor III

Similar issue . . . we are unable to block Microsoft SkyDrive entering either "SkyDrive" or "SkyDrive.app" into the "Process to Look for" field. Having the same issue with Google Drive using "Google Drive" or "Google Drive.app."

Running v8.6.