winclone win7-64, 10.7 win7 doesn't boot

DanSloan
New Contributor

Hi All
We are trying to deploy win7-64 and 10.7 to labs. We are following the JAMF KB https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=70
and end up with blinking curser in Window side on first boot.
Winclone image works when we push it using Winclone.

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9

mintzd01
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am having the exact same issue on a deployment. I don't seem to have found anything that fixes the issue.

Hoping someone on Jamf Nation will be able to help.

ajg372
New Contributor

I've been deploying several windows partitions without issue, but using Winclone 2.3.3. I've updated all the images to BootCamp 4 drivers. Try maybe capturing the partition using 2.3.3 and make sure it's uncompressed. Check for any discrepancies in size between the image you capture and the image you copy up to your server. Hope this helps.

baf
New Contributor

I'm having the same problem here; unfortunately I only have Winclone 3 so I can't try using the older version. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

bajones
Contributor II

If you are using Winclone 3, make sure it is Winclone Pro because it includes the "Make Self Extracting" option that Casper Imaging needs to deploy the image properly and make it bootable.

baf
New Contributor

I am using Winclone Pro and have ensured that my images have been made self-extracting.

baf
New Contributor

I have a case in with JAMF regarding this issue, but in the meantime, I've found a workaround.

If you restore your Winclone image with Casper Imaging, it will restore the files, but the Windows partition is not bootable. I've found that if I grab the ntfscp and gptrefresh tools out of the Winclone bundle and run the following commands after laying down the Winclone image, the Windows partition becomes bootable. I derived these from knowledge of the Windows boot process and a bit of trawling through the winclone.perl script located in the Winclone bundle itself. In my case, I run the commands in a post-imaging script on the first boot of OS X, after which I reboot to the Windows partition.

Your mileage may vary - you may need to tweak these commands depending on your individual setup. They work for me on an iMac11,3 and iMac 12,1 with OS X Lion 10.7.4 and Windows 7 Enterprise x64.

ntfscp -f /dev/disk0s3 /Path/To/Winclone/Bundle.winclone/BCD /Boot/BCD

gptrefresh -f -w -m /Path/To/Winclone/Bundle.winclone/boot.mbr -a 3 -u /dev/disk0

Hope this helps someone!

brad
Contributor

The second command fixed Windows XP for us. I think our issue may have to do with the fact that our win clone images were created about a year or so ago and we were on 8.1, now we are on 8.6 I am thinking we might need to recapture using Winclone pro.

Thanks bfusco1!

rweaver
New Contributor

Edit: Whoops - was trying to reply to a different post -- this is the post I couldn't find! We had to tweak the commands a little for our systems:

We actually found a workaround based on another JAMFNation forum post (which I can't actually find now...):

1. Image the computer
  2. Open <image>.winclone and copy all but the image itself to somewhere local on the OSX partition.
  3. After imaging, run the following commands (also done as a post-install script). make sure to replace <pathto> with the right path for your system: /<pathto>/ntfscp -f /dev/disk0s3 /<pathto>/BCD /Boot/BCD /<pathto>/gptrefresh -f -w -m /<pathto>/boot.mbr -a 3 -i 0x07 -u -s /dev/disk0s3 /dev/disk0

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

What version of Casper Imaging are you guys using? I found that version 8.52 would not always correctly restore a winclone image created with the newer 3.x version of WinClone. Using Casper Imaging 8.61 gave me better results.