Mountain Lion 10.8 / Java 1.6 / JSS 8.6 Problem

paulvernon
New Contributor

I have Mountain Lion 10.8 Server and I am getting this error when installing JSS :

"The JSS requires Java 1.6 or later to be installed to function properly. Please verify that you have Java 1.6 or later installed and try running the JSS installer again." I do have Java 1.6 installed.

Java 1.6.33 is installed ok (MYSQL is installed e.t.c)

Any help would be great

9 REPLIES 9

nessts
Valued Contributor II

is your web plugin enabled in the java preferences.

paulvernon
New Contributor

Thanks for your response - Yes it is - do I have to do anything in the java preferences.

joeselway
New Contributor II

I'm also having this problem. Brand new Mac mini server on 10.8, updated to 10.8.1, MySQL 5.5.27, Java 1.6.0_35.

The only thing I can think of is that Java was installed manually from JavaForOSX.dmg, which may write a different package receipt to the SUS-installed Java and hence not be detected..?

I'm going to blow it away and see if it works after invoking SUS to get Java down.

paulvernon
New Contributor

My problem was with a corrupt installer - i downloaded it again and it worked ok with no errors - unless it was a co-incidence.

luispalumbo
Contributor

I'm having the same problem.

I'm running 10.8.2, in a test computer, and tried to install Casper 8.6.2 but got the Java error. I then downloaded Java 10.6 again and nothing. Then downloaded Java 10.7, same thing. My last resource was installing Casper 8.6, which worked, but it's not upgrading to 8.6.2.

I'm running 8.6.2 in a Lion computer, which I want to upgrade to Mountain Lion, but I'm a bit concerned about this because if my Casper stops I'll have to go back to 8.6, which I really don't want.

Anyone facing this same problem?

joeselway
New Contributor II

Hi Luis,

In the end I solved this by re-installing 10.8 and installing Java via Apple's SUS rather than the JavaForOSX.dmg from Oracle. Seems like the JSS installer doesn't pick up the package receipt for the latter.

Not sure if it is viable for you to wipe and start again but I didn't look into what would be required to uninstall completely such that Apple SUS would detect "no Java".

The easiest way to get it down via software update is to just run the command "java -version" in terminal.

HTH,

Joe

luispalumbo
Contributor

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try doing what you did then. Hopefuly that works fine.

Thanks, Luis

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Just to confirm, I recently upgraded our systems with several new servers running 10.8.2, using the "java -version" method & letting SUS install Java. Worked perfectly every time, and they're all running Casper 8.62.

mattias
New Contributor

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572

Solved the problem for me.