Skip to main content
Jamf Nation, hosted by Jamf, is the largest Apple IT management community in the world. Dialog with your fellow IT professionals, gain insight about Apple device deployments, share best practices and bounce ideas off each other. Join the conversation.

Casper Imaging 8.6 Not Naming Computer

Casper Version 8.6
Mountain Lion

Although I have specified the computer name in the field for Casper Imaging and updated the information on the JSS with the checkmark as well, after imaging a system I notice that the computer has no name, all I get is localhost. Anyone else seen this issue?

Like Comment
Order by:
SOLVED Posted: by gshackney

EDIT:The below used to be true but now looks like you may need to remove /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist after you target this machine to another to capture it (as it will recreate this file each time you reboot).

Original Post (may not still be correct in 8.64)
Did you remove the system configurations folder from the machine? Since Casper Imaging uses the preferences in this folder to write the name, if its been removed the naming will only create localhost or blank.

You may need to rebuild your base image and leave the system configuration folder in place.

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration is the path.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

SOLVED Posted: by eculp

Are you using PreStage Imaging in Casper? If you are, you can add the computer name(s) there. It works slick.
I imaged 450+ computers and they all had the name applied.

SOLVED Posted: by ernstcs

The SystemConfiguration folder is intact.

We do not use PreStage imaging here. I'm guessing that would not help though, if naming the system right in Casper Imaging can't do it I imaging the same would occur when it tries to pull it from the JSS automatically during prestage imaging.

SOLVED Posted: by gachowski

Yes, I have see this. I had to create a rename script and bind at AD script to solve the issue. I was also seeing super long names generated by our DNS. At reboot I reset the name and then rebind to AD. Same a Casper does/did but I just bind to AD last. I control the order of the process, buy the names of the scripts

I do not delete /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration in X.8 however I was in X.7 as there was a bug with network ports.

I use a pre-stage set up

This is for sure an issue with just 10.8. I tried two different systems and they both do it, can't name the box for 10.8, but name it just fine with 10.7. I shouldn't have to create a script to get around this.

Performing these commands after the fact work of course and just leads me to believe it's a bug in imaging, but I figured a bunch more people would have noticed it and posted already, or just the opposite and said they've imaged ML with proper naming just fine.

/usr/sbin/scutil --set ComputerName <name>

/usr/sbin/scutil --set LocalHostName <name>

SOLVED Posted: by CFountain

I'm also having the exact same issue. I've imaged almost 130 Macs to OS X 10.8 with Casper 8.6 and only one has renamed sucessfully. But because school is starting back very soon, I have not had the time to troubleshoot the issue.

Also the computers will bind to AD with the name "no name". Which I found rather amusing.

I put in a support call on Friday for this, and I'll post what I get back for information.

SOLVED Posted: by matthew-c

Seeing this as well, on 10.7.

Am going to try and narrow down exactly when it does happen.

Matt

SOLVED Posted: by plawrence

Are you all just using plain text computer names? Are there any special characters like hyphens, underscores or spaces?

I'm testing imaging a 10.8 client here and am having no trouble renaming it or binding it to AD.

Patrick

Both cases. I've tested on a system that has a hyphen in the name, and one that just has letters and numbers.

MAC-OL1108-SP1
LTS2653531x

Patrick,

What is your imaging partition setup look like? Are you imaging from a partition that's 10.8, logged in as root or another user, are you using netboot, netinstall? What's the details of your imaging process.

Right now I'm on a separate partition with 10.8 running as root imaging. Wasn't sure if the issue was in where people are imaging from.

SOLVED Posted: by Chris_Hafner

I'll jump on the band wagon here. I'm experiencing the very same issue (v8.6 and 10.8). Everything imaged to 10.7 or below names just fine. Anything imaged to 10.8 simply doesn't get named and proceeds to identify itself as localhost. Naming them via JSS and letting my inventory process rename the unit has only met with mixed results. Unfortunately, I've not yet been able to analyze the issue as I've been under a tremendous work load. I'm really glad this discussion came up. I was half way through starting one on friday but got caught up and didn't want to get one going without more results. Fortunately for me it's not dire, but severely inconvenient.

When we name units they are named in the following manner
BA-Department-FirstName LastName

SOLVED Posted: by plawrence

Craig

I'm imaging from a NetBoot set, which is running 10.8 and casper imaging 8.6. The NetBoot set logs in as root.

SOLVED Posted: by CFountain

My NetBoot image is also running Mac OS X 10.8 and Casper Imaging 8.6. It Auto-logs as root.

Ditto

SOLVED Posted: by mark.sampers

We are seeing the same (non-naming) when deploying a 10.8 base though our set-up is different. Our NetBoot image is running OS 10.7.4 and using Casper Imaging 8.52. It Auto-logs in as root.

SOLVED Posted: by rockpapergoat

pretty much the same thing here with a 10.8 net boot set \+ 8.6 tools installed on it.

10.8 machines fail to set the hostname. 10.7.x may fail also, though i'd have to check.

in my case, i'm installing 10.8 via a pkg, so i don't necessarily expect the machines to set their names on the actual first boot. i do kick off a first boot routine after the 10.8 install that should mimic the standard jamf stuff, though.

SOLVED Posted: by thomasC

JSS 8.6 10.8 NetBoot
10.8 Image
Name gets wiped. ---
No issue with 10.7 NetBoot 10.7.4 Image
10.6.8 Image
---
Anyone contact JAMF?

Yes, I have a support call in for it. Likely a defect to come. I will keep you all posted.

From JAMF:

Hello. I have spoke with development regarding this issue as we have seen it at times in our environment as well. This is an issue with the contents of the:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

following a reboot after laying down an image.

Though the preferences.plist is properly configured with the name we set prior to a reboot, when we boot to that partition at some point the preferences.plist is converted to mangled data thus reverting the name to localhost. This appears to be an Apple issue and we have filed a Radar defect with Apple regarding this error.

We encourage you to inform jamfnation if you would like, as well as file a radar defect of your own. To see the issue we can image, and not select to reboot, at that point you can check out the preferences.plist, and after reboot check it out once again. We have seen that prior to a reboot the .plist will be configured properly by Casper, but the reboot causes a mangling for some reason.

SOLVED Posted: by rtregaskis

Have same issue in our new environment. Opting to peruse with 8.6 and not re-image as currently expecting new macs with 10.8 arriving we just enrol as part as a pre-imaginging config. However, we are also seeing the Department and Building attributes from the configuration not being set either? Anyone else?

SOLVED Posted: by thomasC

In testing I haven't found an issue imaging with the following.
-----
JSS 8.6 NBI 10.8 Casper Imaging.app 8.5.2 OS 10.8 in configuration
-----
Spotlight \- works Computer Name \- as entered during imaging.
LocalHostName \- is set to ComputerName as expected
HostName \- not set
Note: system was not in JSS prior to imaging
-----
Need to talk to JAMF and see if this has been tested and could be a work around.

Anyone else try this?

I'm on Casper imaging 8.6 unfortunately. Though, I've suspected the imaging app from the beginning.

EDIT--- see post below.

I just tried making a netboot image using the above configuration.
JSS 8.6 NBI 10.8 Casper Imaging.app 8.5.2 OS 10.8 in configuration

However, the units are still not being named. I've tried with units that are not in the JSS and units that are. Unit's that I've deleted and units that I've named in the JSS inventory specifically to see if the inventory process would re-name it after. What I discovered was that, at least with 8.5.2 imaging it actually removed the name from the inventory!

This is a serious issue for us as I will be pre-staging almost 500 computers in two weeks and I only get one day to do it. Easy enough, but having to sort out the names is really going to burn my rear.

SOLVED Posted: by tkimpton

Really not happy started going a bit nuts at Thursby thinking their new ADmitMac 7 was at fault! Now I'm thinking it damn Casper 8.6!

This indeed annoying as my machines won't bind to AD!

I just tried imaging a system with 10.8.1 with Casper 8.6, a system that was consistently not naming after imaging, and now it is. =D

SOLVED Posted: by ooshnoo

ernstcs

I tried imaging a system with 10.8.1 and it still isn't naming for me. The name is blank and the AD bind is set to "no name"

Nice.

Did they ever respond to your question?

Not sure what to say there. Pretty sure JAMF was going to test again with a system(s) they've been unable to name. I was trying to figure out if it was somehow hardware specific, but that's been difficult. I guess we keep plugging away and see what else comes up.

I patched my existing 10.8 build created on a 15" MBP Retina running the softwareupdate -i -a command. I do standard Composer OS images. Although, I didn't patch on the MBP, I made the updated image on the iMac I've been having issues on. Perhaps I'll grab another of those iMacs tomorrow.

These issues are the worst. Some people see it and others don't. Someone sees Self Service crash. Others don't. Lots of variables on how you made your images, etc.

After running more tests with the following
jss 8.6
netboot 10.8
Casper Imaging 8.6
OS being imaged 10.8.1
one computer had a name already in the JSS inventory and one did not. Neither were named. The one that already had the name, had it removed in JSS' inventory.

no name... right now I'm about to upgrade my netboot image to 10.8.1 and cross my fingers.

SOLVED Posted: by FastGM3

Well I thought it was fixed as well after upgrading to 10.8.1 but here's what I'm finding out, at least in my case.

If I create the image on a Retina, the naming works fine on the Retina but the naming doesn't work on a MacBook Pro.

If I create the image on the MacBook Pro, the naming works fine on the MBP but not the Retina!

UGH,
Anyone else want to double check this?

This is my workaround

All my machines have the HDD Volume to match the computername and start with LDN

#!/bin/bash

### INTRO ###
# 10.8 bug where machine name doesn't get applied. This script gets the volume name starting with LDN and makes sure it is the computername

### VARIABLES ###

# Make sure the config file exists
touch /Library/Management/Scripts/computername.conf

# Write to the config file
volume=`ls /Volumes/ | grep LDN  > /Library/Management/Scripts/computername.conf `

### DO NOT MODIFY BELOW ###

# Compare what is in the computername.conf to the current computername and if they do not match it will change it

current_computername=` /usr/sbin/networksetup -getcomputername`

set_name=` /bin/cat /Library/Management/Scripts/computername.conf`

# Now to compare both of the strings
if [[ $current_computername = $set_name ]]

then echo "All looks good, computer name checks good"

else /usr/sbin/networksetup -setcomputername $set_name
scutil --set ComputerName $set_name
scutil --set HostName $set_name
scutil --set LocalHostName $set_name
fi

exit 0

I then package up and deploy the script in the build along with a launch daemon to run it.

@FastGM3

The image I tested earlier were based on 2011 MacBoo Pro's being imaged back onto 2011 MacBook Pro's Still no name. right now I've updated my NBI to run 10.8.1 itself and I'm crossing my fingers.

SOLVED Posted: by nkalister

how are you guys creating your images? Composer captures, modular Casper Imaging images based on the InstallESD.dmg file, instaDMG, or ?

The fix for this problem is beyond me and probably my pay grade and competence.

Based on my testing today here are my results:
Casper Suite 8.6
Imaging from OS 10.8 (regular OS images that logs in as root, not netboot or netinstall)
Applied OS images Mountain Lion 10.8 or 10.8.1 (10.8.2 beta not tested)
Using Composer or Disk Utility to create the OS DMGs

In my opinion this issue is hardware bound, meaning that computer naming will work fine on the same model hardware the Composer or Disk Utility OS image is created on. I found this to be true when working between two iMacs of the same model.

In testing I would take an existing OS DMG that would have machine naming break after Casper Imaging, on that same machine take that same OS DMG and apply it via Disk Utility, boot to that partition and not even login (but I did have to boot to it at least once, if not it still broke, the OS is doing some of its own magic here apparently when it first boots), reboot to my imaging partition, simply run that partition through Composer to generate a new OS image, and using that with Casper Imaging now makes computer naming work for that same hardware, and then not others including the one the original image came from.

So the simple act of running that partition through Composer to build an OS image on the particular hardware model you want to work, will. SO in theory you could have a separate OS image per model for the time being, but the renaming methods folks have put together are your most sensible option if you tested them to work.

In my opinion this is up to JAMF and Apple to sort out unless you have lots of free time and the know how I lack to troubleshoot it further. Even when I apply the OS image from one model to the other with just Disk Utility there is no name, but there is with the same model, which to me suggests it's not even something JAMF has done with Composer or Casper Imaging.

Testing with beta on Monday as I'm sure it's still an issue there, and will submit a bug report.

SOLVED Posted: by Olivier

I also had this issue, and I lost my hair during 2 weeks to fix it.

Let me share my experience :

\- We use a modular image approach. We boot on a NetBoot image or use a USB disk to deploy the image and other packages to internal Mac HDD.
\- We build a Composer image on a MacBook Air, and try to deploy it on MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and other Mac hardwares.
\- CasperImaging had some problems to set the computer name : it was also blank and obviously, domain join failed or name was, as many said, localhost.

In fact, I don't think Casper is the problem as it relies on underlying stuff (I suppose something like scutil, but scutil cannot be use, AFAIK, to set computer name on a partition which were you are not currently booted on.

The mystery remains in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist as one said.

Imagine there is an existing "Sets" entry in the plist (the "Sets" seems to be bound to the hardware type), and you change the hardware (happens in case you use a modular image, and target machine is not the same type as original machine). Before you reboot, the computer name resides in System:System:ComputerName and System:Network:HostNames:LocalHostNames key.

After you reboot, OSX moves the whole tree subset to "name of the previous hardware":System:System:ComputerName and "name of the previous hardware":System:Network:HostNames:LocalHostNames key.

In my case when I boot the MacBookPro, it moved the tree to MacBookAir4,2:System:System:ComputerName and unfortunately, leaves the proper System:System:ComputerName non-existent, resulting in empty computer name.

In some cases (sorry don't remember when), the OSX image I put on the internal disk gets the computer name of the USB disk under the one I booted previously and which is still connected : OSX is so smart that it gets the computer name from /Volumes/myusbdisk/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist located on my USB disk, and re-use it to populate the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist.

So here what I did :

Create a PKG file executed immediately after you perform your block copy and before computer name is set by Casper. This is because scripts will be executed "after the fact" and I am too lazy to spend my time fixing stuff after it is too corrupted or after first reboot.

In this PKG, only create a postinstall script with commands :

defaults delete "$2/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences" NetworkServices
defaults delete "$2/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences" CurrentSet
defaults delete "$2/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences" Sets
defaults delete "$2/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences" Model
rm "$2/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist"

I thought at the beginning to delete the whole preferences.plist file from my main DMG file, or delete it with the PKG and method above, but it does not work well in some cases (don't remember why again, maybe in case there are USB disks still connected to the computer with com.apple.smb.server.plist file).

For me, the behavior is clearly not the same as in 10.7, so Apple must have changed something.

I don't know if anyone else is experiencing the following additional naming issue. I have several units (Imaged as mentioned above) to 10.8 who are not taking the newly assigned name from the JSS inventory. The computer name recorded in the JSS record actually get's wiped and replaced the localhost(). Any thoughts there? I'm a week from D-Day and hope that Apple releases 10.8.2... I'm also hoping that this fixes the issue.

EDIT! Never mind... there was some cross imaging. Nothing in the JSS is losing it's name. Sorry if I got anyone going!

That would be normal after imaging. localhost is what the OS is naming the system when there is no name provided or set properly. After imaging runs and it does its initial recon it would normally update the computer name in the JSS to the same, which is localhost.

There is currently no setting in the JSS (shakes fist at JAMF) to always retain the computer name that's in the JSS and force it onto the clients to FIX them when they recon. Some of us get around that by other means of course.

Quite correct. However, we simply name them after imaging/recon and set the computer name along with the daily inventory. I goofed and through some hectic testing while moving offices thought that names were changing back to localhost post recon/imaging. I was however, quite wrong.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Apples recognizing the problem quite yet. I'm prepping our LDAP to handle our naming this time around. Not happy about it, but it works.

Any update on this issue?

I have not heard anything new at this point, and have not tried the latest Beta build to see if something magically was put in that.

JAMFBadge
SOLVED Posted: by nick

Hey everyone,

We have addressed this issue in our next release, which is due out very soon. A workaround is to set the computer name via a script that runs at reboot. The next version of Casper Imaging will actually set the computer name as one of the first actions that takes place after the computer boots for the first time.

Here is a sample of a script that can be used as a workaround for the time being:

#!/bin/sh
LOGPATH="/var/log/jamf.log"
NAME=`grep "Set Computer Name to" $LOGPATH | tail -1 | sed -e 's/.*Name\ to\ //'`
/usr/sbin/jamf setComputerName -target / -name "$NAME"

Thanks,

Nick

Fantastic, thanks! From a Q&A Standpoint this adds the bonjour name (meaning that it interjects .local at the end of the name) but it certainly works! Thank you very much!

SOLVED Posted: by phalcomb

Nick, I've found that this hasn't been addressed as mentioned in the 8.61 release notes. Once the computer is imaged and I check the compuername and it's there. After the first reboot it disappears. I've notified support but do you have any clue as to why that might be happening?

SOLVED Posted: by curullij

Hi Nick,

I'm still seeing this with 8.62

SOLVED Posted: by bazcurtis

We are seeing this as well.

We can't even type a machine name in the machine name field. We emailed support today.

SOLVED Posted: by rhysforrester

NetBoot 10.8.2 auto login as root with Imaging 8.62 / Installing 10.8.x built with Composer. Another NO NAME here.

It was occurring early in my post-imaging process, but after updating the netboot and image to 10.8.2 it's now occurring consistently after the deletion of the adobeinstall account.

Love the script up above Nick, definitely going to incorporate this \- thank you! But a script? Isn't naming a big enough deal to have a patch out already incorporating said script. Fair enough it's Apple dragging the chain, and please excuse me if this sounds frustrated, but active directory binding, bonjour networking, deployment, these are all borked if that name doesn't set right!

Honestly, can't thank you enough for that wee bit of code.

SOLVED Posted: by franton

Something we've discovered is that DNS can play havoc with machine naming. Our situation is that the mac gets it's name from the inventory via pre-stage imaging, first boot after imaging is ok, second boot loses it's name every time.

What we've discovered is that our authenticated DNS isn't allowing the macs to set their name at first boot, so at 2nd boot the mdnsresponder fires off a DNS request and is overwriting the macs hostname with a blank record.

The only fix i've found involves having both microsoft DNS and DHCP servers, a dedicated DNS authentication account and setting the DHCP server to do the following:

1) Use the authentication account as credentials for updating DNS.
2) Set "Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records only if requested by the DHCP clients" option
3) Set "Dynamically update DNS A and PTR records for DHCP clients that do not request for updates (for example, clients that are running Windows NT 4.0)" option

This seems to have fixed our issues with this. I am now awaiting our systems team to roll this out!

SOLVED Posted: by matthewbodaly

This happens on our install as well. I've been able to reproduce this on computers that are not bound to AD / OD. \- New computer (base install from Apple)
\- Rename computer to our company naming scheme
\- Add Casper policies
\- Restart
\- Computer name changes
\- Manually rename
\- Restart computer
\- Computer name changes

Ive been able to see this when the computer is unplugged from the network as well.

errr.... doublepost. edited.

Ok. I narrowed this down and have resolved this on my side. Issue: The latest version of Casper and the latest OSX have something in them as a conflict. Whenever the computer changes network interfaces, the computer name changes to .localhost. Here is how I fixed it.

1. I wrote a small script that pulled the Casper computer name and wrote it into every spot in OSX that wanted a name and set the hostname of the computer. This also wrote a small file with the computer name in it into a flat file so I could refer to it later if I needed.
#!/bin/bash
# this ninja takes the name that the computer has in JAMF and then renames 
# all computer variables to that name AND adds a flat text file at
# /Library/Application\ Support/assettag
# Make a folder to store resource files. Commenting this out since this line isn't needed
# when the script is deployed via Casper. Uncomment to enable. Also change the cut numbers based on the length
# of computer names
mkdir /Library/Application\ Support/caspersupport
# Get for the name of the computer from Casper and write it to a file
jamf -getComputerName | cut -c 16-24 > /Library/Application\ Support/caspersupport/assettag
# Set entry as a variable
BELUS=$(more /Library/Application\ Support/caspersupport/assettag)
# Backup the file that will be changed
cp /etc/hostconfig /Library/Application\ Support/caspersupport/hostconfig.bak
# Change the HostName to the variable
scutil --set HostName $BELUS
# Change the ComputerName to the variable
scutil --set ComputerName $BELUS
# Write the variable to the end of /etc/hostconfig. This uses the FQDN. If you have a FQDN... you should change this.
echo HOSTNAME=$BELUS.apptio.lan >> /etc/hostconfig
# change the Bonjour name
systemsetup -setlocalsubnetname $BELUS

The script is also here: https://github.com/matthewbodaly/rawrscripts/blob/master/computernameninja.sh
2. Instead of binding to just domaincontroller.lan, I bound the computer to a preferred domain controller. Instead of just joining the domain, I opened the directory utility and here is what the advanced settings looked like. I filled these out BEFORE binding. Once I had it tested, I created a new binding policy on Casper and did an unbind rebind on the computers.

external image link

external image link

1. Set the delay to show loginwindow on the computer at 45 seconds. I dont think this is as important as the other two but this gave the ethernet interface more time to authenticate on our network. Since we have primarily network users, this made sense for our environment. More information on that was found here : https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4286854?start=0&tstart=0

Looking back on this, I'm likely going to change the login window delay to a bit longer on our network, but I deployed this in stages and this has completely resolved the issue to this point.

SOLVED Posted: by timmohr

I think it's time for JAMF to come to the party on this issue, hopefully in the form of an update!

I have tried the solutions from both Olivier and nick but unfortunately I still have systems that aren't getting their computer names after imaging.

JAMF, please; do you have a timeframe of when this will be fixed?

SOLVED Posted: by rhysforrester

This is the moment it consistently happens in our Imaging workflow (/var/log/jamf.log)

Wed Nov 14 15:53:40 LAB-GPS520-XX jamf[11057]: Rebooting computer immediately...
Wed Nov 14 15:55:02 No Name jamf[255]: Checking for policies triggered by "startup"...

I'm currently `networksetup -getcomputername > $receiptfile` and then getting support staff to trigger a script that reads that and does a -setcomputername (IF) they find the name to be blank.

Would I be right in guessing that the above scripts are being used with launchd in order to run after the post imaging screen?

JAMFBadge

Hey everyone,

We have been in touch with a few of you offline to get some more details and are very interested in getting to the bottom of this issue. We don't have any updates at this point, but we'll be sure to keep you posted as we get more details around this issue.

If you are seeing the issue, we urge you to contact your Account Manager so we can get to the bottom of it. We can also work with you to provide an acceptable workaround for your imaging workflow.

We are very interested in getting to the bottom of this and will hopefully have more info soon.

Thanks!
Nick

SOLVED Posted: by drheiner

Here is the package I made for our Company which fixes the naming issue with 10.8 using Jamf 8.62, I call it a patch. It is using this Discussion information. I compiled it into a package. You need to run this package right after the base image is layed down on the "Casper Imaging Tool"
so stick it as Priority 2, while your OS image is Priority 1. This is before the restart. Enjoy

http://home.comcast.net/~Nw_systems/Ivy_ACOE_OSX10.8_Patch.pkg

Daniel

SOLVED Posted: by chris.kemp

Just chiming in here \- tested imaging after upgrading to 10.8.2 Server and Casper 8.62 today, & my test machine also did not get its name, it is registering as netboot03. :-\

SOLVED Posted: by johnklimeck

dhreiner,

Got your pkg. Seems to work. The name sticks after reboot. Not sure what it does. Tried to extract the .pkg, nothing seems to be there.

Might you post what files / changes are in the pkg. Thanks so much in advance.

JohnK

SOLVED Posted: by tanderson

I'm having the same issue as well. Very frustrating and hoping for a fix soon. 10.8.2 NBI, Casper Imaging 8.62, and 10.7.x configurations.

Also tried running Imaging from 10.7.x and no difference.

For now, I've created a package that runs as part of the JAMF first run that deletes preferences.plist. We have a script that runs after first run that renames the computer anyway. However, this won't work on our classroom and loaner systems that get a special use name that had been set by the JSS up until now. Now to figure out a way to handle those.

SOLVED Posted: by msimpson

Casper 8.62
OS X 10.8.2

Same issue here as well. About to image 210 computers. I'll try the package provided by driehner.

We have an additional issue (which I believe is tied into the same problem) \- it resets all the network settings on reboot. But given that all these are stored in the SystemConfiguration folder it seems to be the same issue.

SOLVED Posted: by franton

Our solution where I am was to imitate Oxford university ... a bit. We have a package that's installed on the computer at image time which contains a firstrun script to do all the magic. I'll copy the relevant bit out for you all.

MacModel=$( ioreg -l | awk '/product-name/ { split($0, line, "\""); printf("%s\n", line[4]); }' )
PrefModel=$( defaults read /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist Model )

# Fix the incorrect model name in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist
# Also make sure the .plist is in the correct format

if [[ "$PrefModel" != "$MacModel" ]];
then
  /bin/echo $AdminPW | sudo -S defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist Model $MacModel
  /bin/echo $AdminPW | sudo -S plutil -convert xml1 /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist
fi

# Fix the incorrect network service names
# Script lovingly stolen from https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=3422

# Detect new network hardware
networksetup -detectnewhardware

# List all network services and read one by one
networksetup -listallnetworkservices | tail -n +2 | while read service
do

# Remove asterisk from string for renaming disabled services
service=${service#*\*}

# Use filter to select next line which has the hardware port defined
filter=false

# Display network services
networksetup -listnetworkserviceorder | while read serviceorder
do
if [[ ${filter} == true ]]
then
# Grab hardware port
hardwareport=`echo ${serviceorder} | sed -e 's/(Hardware Port: //;s/, Device:.*//'`
# Check if service name if different
if [[ ${service} != ${hardwareport} ]]
then
# Rename the network service
networksetup -renamenetworkservice "${service}" "${hardwareport}"
echo -e "Renamed network service \"${service}\" to \"${hardwareport}\""
fi
fi

if [[ ${serviceorder} == *${service} ]]
then

# Got the line with the service. Set the filter to true to grab the next line which contains the hardware port
filter=true
else
filter=false
fi
done
done

# JAMF imaging should have set the machine name correctly. Let's make sure hostname is also set properly

setName=`networksetup -getcomputername`
scutil --set ComputerName ${setName}
scutil --set LocalHostName ${setName}
scutil --set HostName ${setName}

What I discovered and have since reported to JAMF is that in the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist file where all the network config inc. machine name is stored ... well it's all stored under a key containing the model name of the machine you build your deployment image on.

This is ok if you have all the same machine type, (iMac 7,1 for example) but not so good if you are imaging a mix of machines as I imagine you are. Mac OS basically goes as follows: 1st boot : There's a config file, but i'll interpret it as best I can. 2nd boot : There's a config file here. It doesn't contain the right info for this machine model. There's no config for this model ... i'll just write in the defaults and append it to the end of the file.

So the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist file balloons in size, erases the host name and resets any networking configuration. My script has been pieced together from various places but the net effect is that it does cure things.

SOLVED Posted: by mscheffler

I'm seeing something similar long after imaging is done. The computers comes off imaging just fine with the right names, but later on (months down the road) I'll realize a computer is missing from the JSS Inventory only to realize that JSS has decided to list "localhost" as the computer name. So far I've seen 3 computers get their named changed to localhost.

JAMFBadge

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all of the details you've provided to help us reproduce this issue. The issue of a computer name being removed during the re-imaging process still appears to be an Apple defect and can be seen outside of Casper Imaging when capturing a 10.8.x image from one hardware type and restoring that image onto another hardware type.

We were able to consistently reproduce the issue by capturing a 10.8.2 image on a MacBookAir5,1 using Disk Utility and restoring it to a MacBookPro5,5 using Disk Utility. As many of you have mentioned in previous posts, OS X appears to be modifying the preferences.plist file in this scenario into a state where the computer name that was set prior to booting the target machine is removed. We've filed an Apple RADAR (12973064) and we encourage others to do so as well to add some weight to this issue.

We realize that this issue is breaking imaging workflows for some people and we have come up workarounds that can be implemented within a Casper Imaging update as well as in a NetBoot image that contains the current version of Casper Imaging.

In Casper Imaging 8.61, we added a workaround to this issue that was filed as D-003108. The fix was to add a line to the JAMF FirstRun enrollment script that set the computer name a second time after the machine rebooted. While this fixes the issue most of the time, there still are edge cases where the FirstRun enrollment script is run before OS X modifies the preferences.plist file.

We'll have another fix for D-003108 in the next release of Casper Imaging that will only run the JAMF FirstRun enrollment script after the preferences.plist file has been modified by the OS, which should resolve the edge case scenarios where we see computers losing their names. We don't have an ETA on when this fix will appear at this point, but we're very interested in helping people create workarounds for the issue.

One workaround is to remove the following file from your image:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist

Note that this file is required if you'd like Casper Imaging to modify network settings (setting static IPs, etc).

A second workaround is to use one of the scripts mentioned above that renames the computer via a shell script upon reboot. If you are binding to AD or running any other items during the FirstRun process that requires the computer name to be set, you'll want to likely kick those actions off via a policy using a shell script that runs AFTER the computer name is set.

A third workaround is to compile a configuration that includes an OS X installer image of 10.8 and use that as your base image.

A fourth workaround is to create separate 10.8 images for each hardware type you'll be imaging.

There are probably a few more workarounds that we haven't thought of yet, but these are the ones we've been testing with very good success.

Thanks,
Nick

As I understand it, there may be hope in the next version of the Casper Suite to put this issue to rest...for now. In the mean time, although you all have some wonderful ways of doing this, I went an even more different route since I bind to AD and that part of the FirstRun works every time since the bind script in FirstRun uses the name in the script. =D

It's probably a terrible way to do it, but I read the computer name out of the AD settings at whatever point works and then pass that through to scutil. I found it more reliable to have a simple script part of first run that calls a custom triggered policy. The policy it calls installs a self-deleting StartupItem with the script below. After FirstRun finishes and reboots, the StartupItem runs and does the rest and then cleans itself up. You wouldn't need to output it to a file like I do, that I use for later reboots where another StartupItem renames the computers back to what they were when they were imaged to maintain the same name, you know the stupid (1) and (2) after the names, etc. I run another enroll command to make sure it does, that's been spotty as hell, too.

TEST TEST TEST, and if you have any questions, let me know. Thanks for all the responses folks!

YOU MUST CHANGE your plist file name, since it won't be UWEC like mine. Also, if you have a preference on computer name case, you'll have to work around that, too.

#!/bin/sh

## Delete an existing computername.conf file if it already exists
if [ -f /private/var/computername.conf ]; then

/bin/rm /private/var/computername.conf
fi

## Create new computername.conf file using AD binding information, and then set the computer name
if [ -f /Library/Preferences/OpenDirectory/Configurations/Active\ Directory/UWEC.plist ]; then

defaults read /Library/Preferences/OpenDirectory/Configurations/Active\ Directory/UWEC.plist trustaccount | sed '$s/.$//' > /private/var/computername.conf

set_name=`/bin/cat /private/var/computername.conf`

/usr/sbin/scutil --set ComputerName $set_name

/usr/sbin/scutil --set LocalHostName $set_name

jamf enroll
fi

Problem with your method is that if it tries to bind to the domain BEFORE it runs your naming fix, then your going to have to then bind it manually because it would fail.

Whilst you've just got this, I've been using my fix posted on here for a VERY long time, even before this problem arose for other reasons.

You would have saved yourself a lot of pain and stress.

I don't think you followed what I said, or I just said it poorly. FirstRun binds first, it needs to bind before the script runs or else this method would fail (and I'm sure that it will on rare occasion). I think you also use AdmitMac, which is different from us. This fix doesn't even look for the name until after the FirstRun finishes and does its reboot and then the newly installed startup item does it's work. You're method also requires my primary partition to be named different from the default, not? We won't be doing that here, and people rename volumes all the time. It's cool your method works for you, but it's not going to work for everyone. This took me very little time, and they worked the first time, no debugging (was quite proud of that actually, I didn't have a stupid typo somewhere). I would have done it a lot sooner, like back when I originally posted, but I didn't have to mass image labs until now and we weren't doing a large upgrade for office users yet. I have lots of other things to do besides Mac management. I'm just sharing in the event others wish to use this method if they have a similar setup to us.

SOLVED Posted: by amalloy

Forgive me if I reference things incorrectly but I am new in this software. I just got done updating my software to the 8.63 in hopes the work around that was just talked about would cure this corrupt plist problem I am having just like everyone else here. But I am getting the same problem again \- the image pushes down, renames the machine and joins the domain. Everything looks great, then after a reboot \- poof ! all the magic is gone. Like I said I am a noob to both the Casper and MAC world (a good bit of microsoft experience). Could someone help me to understand the other workarounds with scripts \- this is getting very frustrating.

Forgive me if I reference things incorrectly but I am new in this software. I just got done updating my software to the 8.63 in hopes the work around that was just talked about would cure this corrupt plist problem I am having just like everyone else here. But I am getting the same problem again \- the image pushes down, renames the machine and joins the domain. Everything looks great, then after a reboot \- poof ! all the magic is gone. Like I said I am a noob to both the Casper and MAC world (a good bit of microsoft experience). Could someone help me to understand the other workarounds with scripts \- this is getting very frustrating.

SOLVED Posted: by Paul_Price

Thank you Craig. Your script that is marked "Answer" got me out of a jam today. Your post was clear and usable by a NOOB like me.

Sincerely,
Paul

Craig, I was trying to implement your solution and I was still having problems. I think it's how or where I am trying to run the script. Could you help me understand the process of setting up the policy that installs the Startup script. I understand the concept of what is happening, but I don't think I know how I can get the rename to happen when I want it to.

AJ

SOLVED Posted: by CasperSally

Another newb who could use some help from someone on Craig's solution. The part I'm missing is making the startup item self deleting? Thanks!

SOLVED Posted: by stevewood

If you simply have a script that you want to delete itself, just adding this line at the end will do that:

# Make script self-destruct

srm $0

If it is a LaunchDaemon that you are trying to get rid of, you can do what JAMF does with their first run stuff:

## Delete this script and the corresponding launchd item
/bin/rm -rf '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/FirstRun/PostInstall/'
/bin/rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.jamfsoftware.firstrun.postinstall.plist

## Remove the corresponding launchd item
/bin/launchctl remove com.jamfsoftware.firstrun.postinstall

Make sense?

I appreciate the help Steve, the part I was having problems with was the

"I found it more reliable to have a simple script part of first run that calls a custom triggered policy. The policy it calls installs a self-deleting StartupItem with the script below. After FirstRun finishes and reboots, the StartupItem runs and does the rest and then cleans itself up. "

I created a policy that will run that script, but I guess its just running it as part of first run? I get the feeling that I'm missing something obvious here, but not sure what it is.

SOLVED Posted: by stevewood

Craig can clear this up if I'm wrong, but I would venture to guess that he has a policy in the JSS that he calls with a custom trigger. That policy then installs a script somewhere on the machine and places a LaunchDaemon on the machine to run at next login. The script and LaunchDaemon would clean themselves up after running.

Imagine a policy with a custom trigger of "renamecomputers". Your First Run script would then call that policy with something like this:

jamf policy -trigger renamecomputers

The policy itself would simply have a package that installed the actual renaming script somewhere on the machine, maybe in /private/var/<companyname>/scripts, and it would also install a LaunchDaemon named com.company.renamecomputers.plist in /Library/LaunchDaemons. That launchd item would look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
  <key>Label</key>
  <string>com.company.renamecomputers</string>
  <key>ProgramArguments</key>
  <array>
    <string>/private/var/<companyname>/scripts/renamecomputers.sh</string>
  </array>
  <key>RunAtLoad</key>
  <true/>
</dict>
</plist>

The renamecomputers.sh script would do the magic that renamed your computers, and then at the very end of the script, you'd have these lines:

/bin/rm -rf /private/var/<companyname>/scripts/renamecomputers.sh
/bin/rm /LIbrary/LaunchDaemons/com.company.renamecomputers
/bin/launchctl remove com.company.renamecomputers

Is that what you are looking for? And does it make sense?

Steve's spot on. Sorry I couldn't reply sooner.

So my process is dependent upon using native Active Directory binding as part of imaging. I can't test this with ADMitMac or the others.

As part of Casper Imaging I have a script that runs At Reboot that calls a policy I've created.

#!/bin/sh

## This will install the FixComputerName package
/usr/sbin/jamf policy -trigger FixComputerName

The policy trigger of Other with a Manual Trigger name of FixComputerName

That policy installs a package that's a StartupItem (I should switch to launchdaemons). Once the FirstRun process finishes it should reboot the computer which will then have the StartupItem run. The StartupItem deletes itself when it's done.

You can download my StartupItem here (link will expire Feb 14th), but you'll have to edit the script inside for your needs as mentioned in my answer. TEST TEST TEST. StartupItems are really particular about their structure, file names and permissions.

https://staff.uwec.edu/Handlers/AnonymousDownload.ashx?file=469ada19

Thanks Craig and Steve, appreciate it.

SOLVED Posted: by Lotusshaney

I had the exact same problem imaging 10.8 Macbook Airs. Until I noticed that If I restored an Image built on a different model of Mac I did not get the problem.

In /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/Preferences.plist there is the following key :-

<key>Model</key>
<string>MacBookAir4,2</string>

If I removed the key from the plist and took an image it would get set clients 3 names just fine from Casper Imaging.

Dan

It looks like this issue is addressed in 8.64 \- if anyone upgrades and it fixes the mtn lion naming issue, if they could report back that'd be great.

Fixed in v8.64:?
[D-003108] Fixed an issue that prevented Casper Imaging from naming computers when deploying an OS X v10.8 configuration.
??

SOLVED Posted: by tuinte

CasperSally:

I am still seeing the issue \- computer is named localhost. This is everything updated to 8.64, imaging via netboot to 10.8 machines. Colour me sad.

Michael

SOLVED Posted: by MikeF

I did one last night and it worked properly for me. Now I will have to test again

bump. any other feedback on Mtn Lion naming issue with 8.64? It's something it's not easily tested in my test environment, unfortunately. hoping it's fixed. will report back if/when we update production.

I ended up upgrading today and so far it appears 8.64 corrects the issue for us. Mountain Lion machines are correctly keeping their name post image (even on models different than the image build machine).

SOLVED Posted: by JPDyson
I had the exact same problem imaging 10.8 Macbook Airs. Until I noticed that If I restored an Image built on a different model of Mac I did not get the problem. In /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/Preferences.plist there is the following key :- <key>Model</key> <string>MacBookAir4,2</string> If I removed the key from the plist and took an image it would get set clients 3 names just fine from Casper Imaging. Dan

I tend to remove SystemConfiguration from my base OS images anyway, so I don't get the network configs from my imaging mule. This means I have to run a script during imaging to set my proxies, but that's better, actually.

Let's say you have an iMac and capture the base OS from that \- well, when you slap that on an Air, you're going to have a few too many network interfaces (and unpredictable identifiers for the "actual" interfaces \- is "en0" WiFi like it should be, or is it the Ethernet \- which doesn't actually exist?). If you go the other way (capture the OS from an Air, apply it to an iMac) whatever configurations you made to network interfaces (proxy, etc) would only survive for the interfaces the two devices have in common (so the Ethernet device on your iMac won't be "configured").

Also, SystemConfiguration is where your device-specific details live (I'm speaking very generally, here) so it's a bit cleaner to just hose that folder and let it be re-populated when the OS runs on the new hardware.

SOLVED Posted: by JPDyson

I see now that this has been discussed at some length; I can say, however, that I remove the folder and don't have naming problems (the name I set in Imaging is set on the machine).

@JPDyson \- thanks for the response. I will look at that prefrences.plist next time.

I do remove portions of SystemConfiguration already (see https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4521) \- but I don't want to hose the whole folder because I want certain settings (device pref order I think is one) to stick around.

SOLVED Posted: by thanzig

Trashing the preferences.plist file in Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration before using Compser to capture my Base image fixed this for me. I had my base image computer in target disk mode via Thundebolt.

Very nice to have my computer names stick on the machine and in inventory.

Still seeing this issue in netboot of 10.8.3 using 8.64 Casper Imaging. It grabs the name and then after a reboot it loses it and my logs state that the network changed and configd changes the name to loaclhost.
Not sure whats happening but seems this issue is not resolved.
Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

@gshackney \- see my post up above. That fixed it for me. You will have to redo your base image though with that preference file trashed before capturing it.

Thanks trying that now...

This is the solve for me as well! Thanks thanzig, after reviewing this thread it looks like I posted this same hint way at the top a long time ago...guess I just forgot my own advise.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

SOLVED Posted: by pnbahry

I have been following this post for a while now and the only fix that works for me atm is the script which uses the AD Bound name to re-name the machine. I created a smart group for machines called "localhost" then a ongoing script that will run and re-name the machine.

I only get this problem on desktop Macs, we just received the latest iMac, so I setup the iMac out of the box and created a brand new base image. I have even removed the following file (/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist) just to be sure. After the machine is imaged it still re-names the machine to localhost.

@ gshackey \- you did have me confused because I took your original advice about removing the preference!

@ pnbahry \- that is a tough one to figure out. when are you removing the preference.plist file? I removed mine when I had it slaved to my Composer computer. If you remove it and the reboot it, it will generate the preference file again. I created my base image using a 10.8.2 netinstall on an older i5 Macbook Pro. Updated it, tweaked some settings and then target disk moded it while trashing the preference file and sleepimage file before using Composer. How are you creating your base image?

Your solution does seem like a good one though.

SOLVED Posted: by cbrewer

JAMF claims this is fixed in 8.64. In brief testing, it looks like this is no longer an issue.

@cbrewer This is still an issue since if you read the comments we are all mostly using 8.64. But this looks limited to instances where you use the base image from the same model mac; IE late 2012 iMacs being imaged from a base created from a late 2012 iMac. At least that is how I am replicating it. It does get resolved for me removing the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist right before you are about to capture the base image (as mentioned above it will recreate this preference when you reboot the machine).

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

SOLVED Posted: by cbrewer

I just wanted to share that this may no longer be a problem for some. I was previously removing preferences.plist as part of my 10.8 work flow. I'm no longer removing it and have yet to see an issue with the computer name being blank. I've tested using the same model hardware as well as different hardware.

Scroll up 100 pages to my script, if you ignore it then its your peril. I cant take 100 percent credit and after 12 beers (yes us british like our beers) i cant remember where i got the idea from let alone this post is taking half an hour to type lol

SOLVED Posted: by benyoung

We still need to remove the preferences.plist with a FirstRun post build script, as the naming issue is occurring on similar hardware that the base image was created with.

Versions used:
Mac Mini Mid 2011
OS X 10.8.3
Composer 8.63 Casper Imaging 8.64

Our issue may have something to do with an older version of Composer being used to create the base os. I will try the 8.7 tools and post back results.

SOLVED Posted: by rcuza

Thank you everyone for this thread. It saved me a lot of time today. I made our master image on a MacBook Air 13" and hit this bug when I put it on our MBA 11". By changing "MacBookAir5,2" to "MacBookAir5,1", in preferences.plist, I was able to save myself a lot of time.

@matthewbodaly : If you use ```
jamf getComputerName | awk -F'<|>' '{print $3}'
``` you can have names of variable length and impress your Physics teachers with your knowledge of bra-ket notation. I am shamelessly stealing your idea of using local text files to check that the name of the machine has not changed.

SOLVED Posted: by cohawkeye

So being the 98th commenter and this is still going on...what's the solution? Delete this file in my base /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist? Wait for JAMF to come up with a solution? I have a pile of student computers I need to image and really don't want to name them twice.

I think you also use AdmitMac

This has nothing to do with it. If you read my post properly I said this is what i do and doesn't run as a first run script but with a launch daemon

Please be careful with your put me downs. Like I said it works for me because of my hard drive naming convention. Common sense should say to you you need to adapt it for you.

Sorry but in getting a bit narky with the amount of people on here that want things handed to them on a plate without carrying out and engineering.

Where's my wet wipes!

1. READ Daniels post.

2. Download his pkg

http://home.comcast.net/~Nw_systems/Ivy_ACOE_OSX10.8_Patch.pkg

1. Put it in pacifist and analyse it to make sure it's not dodgy (no offence Daniel its best practise to not blindly install stuff)

2. If all looks OK then follow his instructions!

3. Stop moaning and get stuff done.

No offence intended to the many engineers of whom have posted their own solutions.... Respect.

SOLVED Posted: by johnklimeck

cohawkeye,

Thought I'd chime in. Man, this is still going on, have been off the JN boards, thought it was fixed, but that could be in version 9.

Echo tkimpton. It works, not sure how or why, but it does. I tried to do a snapshot to see what is being installed, but to no avail. Put the patch pkg in your Casper Imaging configuration and wa la, the name will stick. It worked beautifully for me in my last JAMF environment and nothing was making the name stick, except this.

In fact the blank name issue came back because I didn't have the patch in my config, once i re added the patch, name sticks.

John K

Good to know it works John and thats all that matters right :)

John \- if you don't want to download/use Pacificst, if you download the pkg and drag it into composer, in the left menu bar and select create source, it lets you see the contents of the pkg. You'll see it's basically just doing following (from scripts folder)

defaults delete "$2/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences" NetworkServices
defaults delete "$2/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences" CurrentSet
defaults delete "$2/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences" Sets
defaults delete "$2/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences" Model
rm "$2/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist"

SOLVED Posted: by benyoung

We no longer need to remove the preferences.plist with a FirstRun post build script. The naming issue has resolved itself when using the latest Casper Suite Tools.

Versions used:
Mac Mini Mid 2011
OS X 10.8.4
Composer 8.7
Casper Imaging 8.7

Process: Updated our base OS from 10.8.3 to 10.8.4
Captured the image with Composer 8.7 (Using defaults options)
Updated NetBoot to OS to 10.8.4 with Casper Imaging 8.7

We have tested on two different models of Mac only at this stage, but will continue to test before release into production. I would be good to get others to see this has worked for them?

@CasperSally

No No No! Any pkgs that have preflight and post flight script will run on YOUR machine if you drag them in to Composer!

If you do this you could screw up hour machine!

This is why we use Pacifist!

@CasperSally

No No No! Any pkgs that have preflight and post flight script will run on YOUR machine if you drag them in to Composer!

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=1224

If you do this you could screw up your machine!

This is why we use Pacifist!

Interesting \- had no idea. Thanks for sharing that, Tim.

SOLVED Posted: by dsepton

We're seeing this issue losing host name after first run reboot with OS X 10.8.3+ and Casper 8.64. We've had success applying the @drheiner package (http://home.comcast.net/~Nw_systems/Ivy_ACOE_OSX10.8_Patch.pkg) in the Casper Imaging target mode process immediately after the OS DMG (PKG set at priority 2). We'll keep testing but looks good for now.

SOLVED Posted: by seabash

As dsepton said, we'll keep testing for continued success w/ drheiner's pkg. A couple notes, though...

Daniel's pkg removes the following 4 entries from /Library/Preference/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist
\- NetworkServices
\- CurrentSet
\- Sets
\- Model
It also removes the entire /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist file

We're using JAMF's method for "Creating a Minimal Base OS Image", https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=313
This method employs Composer.app, which excludes /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist by default (on v8.64 at least).

This begs the question:
Is /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server.plist the lone culprit?

That plist contains items NetBIOSName, LocalKerberosRealm, WINS info among others.

I'll try a separate test where I exclude that .plist from a fresh OS X 10.8.4 (12E55) minimal base image.

Other notes: Casper Suite 8.64; OS X 10.8.4 (12E55).
Used a MacBookPro 15" Retina (Mid-2012) for minimal base OS image, so need to rev it when we get our newer gear. We've seen this issue on earlier Macs—from Mac Minis, iMacs, MacBook Airs, etc.

SOLVED Posted: by jbmiller

I am in the process of updating my netboot set with the newest version of Casper imaging and have already updated my server to 8.71. I will report back results concerning the combination of 8.71 and 10.8.4. Has anyone already tested 8.71 to see if the naming problem is fixed?

Well, I found this discussion again because my test machine is having its name nuked. >:(

10.8.4 NetBoot, 10.8.4 image push, Casper 8.71, and it's still an issue. Checked the preferences.plist, and sure enough the machine identifier is different from the machine I'm imaging.

Going to try the patch...

Patch worked. That's good news...sure wish this would be actually fixed, though.

SOLVED Posted: by RobertHammen

Just ran into this at a client today, trying the patch as part of the imaging workflow.

I've found that adding a quick add package to any configuration works wonders. FYI, there are lots of threads using that as an answer and it appears good for normal configs compiled configs and prestages in my experience.

SOLVED Posted: by drheiner

Not to beat a dead horse here, Just a question to the guys that have upgrade to 9.0 (or 9.12 as of 10/18/2013) is this issue fixed? I am gearing up our company, to upgrade to 9.0 coming up. I have also been looking at OS X 10.9 I can confirm my package still works on 10.9 (From our Casper Environment 8.72.... please test on yours ) I hoping though I won't have to use this anymore. Thoughts ?

SOLVED Posted: by makander

I'd also be interested in knowing if anyone has experienced this when imaging Mavericks (10.9.X) with Casper 8.74?

SOLVED Posted: by clifhirtle

@makander I definitely do see it if I do not have @drheiner 's package that selectively removes /SystemConfiguration items.

SOLVED Posted: by makander

@clifhirtle Alright, that's good to know! Thank you!

SOLVED Posted: by chris.miller

Running JSS 9.63 deploying OS X 10.10.2 on mid 2013 MBAirs via target mode imaging. Was having the same issues listed above.

I simply added a quickadd package to my imaging set to run at priority 2 right after the OS block copy and the issue was resolved. Am now trying this method with different hardware.

If I have Casper Imaging create a user account, then it fails again, but the user account is created. If I install a user account with a package from a source like CreateUsrPkg it fails.

Jamf wants to hear your feedback around Jamf Nation’s landing page!