Office 2011 Workgroup Templates plist

oligiles
New Contributor

Hi Everyone
Does anybody know a way of setting the Workgroup Templates location by editing a plist or similar file?
I need to find a way of setting the template location without visiting each machine.
I've looked in the com.microsoft.office.plist but cannot see it in there.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

talkingmoose

Looks like the com.microsoft.office.plist file is the correct place.

The key for me is 14File AliasesAlias ID: 1500. The value appears to be stored as blob.

Select your workgroup location in Word and then quit. Open the plist file and copy/paste the blob into your managed setting in the JSS. I haven't tested but see no reason why it shouldn't work.

jescala
Contributor II

I've tried to apply that as an MCX setting a while back. I don't remember why, but I was never able to get it to work. I don't know if it was a problem with Microsoft's use of backslashes for that setting or something else. I finally gave up and put it in the user template (/System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office.plist) and that seems to be working.

robo
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

jescala - try setting the type to 'Enter Manually' (it doesn't actually have to be an array or dictionary, despite the name of the option) and then put in the data as it's found when you view the xml version of the plist in a text editor, including the <data> tags. It's working for me this way, with the key and domain as noted by talkingmoose above.

I found that it did not work when I let the JSS import the key from the plist. Not sure why, but anyway setting the type to manual gives you something a bit easier on the eyes.