Adobe Shockwave and Composer

MattNZ
New Contributor

Hi everyone

When trying to make a shockwave package using composer v8.6 it's not overwriting the version thats already there. When I delete the file from Internet Plugins folder it installs fine. To make the package I have tried dragging the pkg into composer and also creating a normal snapshot. I'm fairly new to this and Mac admin in general is there something I’m overlooking?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ernstcs
Contributor III

Man...I haven't deployed a version of Shockwave in ages. Can you just drop the Shockwave pkg right into Casper Admin as is?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ernstcs
Contributor III

Man...I haven't deployed a version of Shockwave in ages. Can you just drop the Shockwave pkg right into Casper Admin as is?

JeffJ
New Contributor

You could also uninstall the previous version if your created the package with Composer and chose the uninstall option after indexing it.

ernstcs
Contributor III

Read this again and you could also include a pre-install script in your source that deletes the existing file before it lays down the new version.

MattNZ
New Contributor

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Ernstcs your suggestion worked. I thought that packages dropped into Casper admin had to be from composer because they weren’t normal packages?

Also can anyone explain why when I drag the pkg into composer and compile it it has the scripts but the contents are empty. So the resulting pkg from composer is roughly 40KB

Jeff’s idea should work as well but according to the documentation I have read somewhere it should overwrite the files if they already exist. Do I need to alter permissions on any of the files before creating the pkg? Just wondering for when I run into the same problem again with a pkg that won’t directly drag into Casper admin.

ernstcs
Contributor III

Realistically you should be able to drop in any PKG or MPKG into Casper Admin. Now what they actually put into the PKG or MPKG and how it behaves when installed is another matter. I dump Microsoft updates, Adobe Flash, and a few others, right in without issue. I've only run into instances where I couldn't rename the pkg to conform to my package naming conventions in a few instances. Previous versions of Sophos's installer was one.

I'm not quite following you with the Jeff's idea part. What Jeff was saying is if you make a traditional composer package that captures the files with a before and after snapshot, and then build that as a DMG, you can then uninstall what the DMG installed if you indexed the DMG and checked the box in options to allow uninstall.

mlam
New Contributor

The pre-installed software manifest in Composer does not work for Shockwave 11.

Then I just drag the Shockwave installer.pkg from the Shockwave 64bit dmg to Casper admin and it works fine.