Inventory>Model on 10.8 machines

dmartin
New Contributor

Hi, sorry if I missed this elsewhere... Seems when I look at computer inventory for 10.8 machines, model information is not populated. Anyone else seeing this, any explanation?

thanks

9 REPLIES 9

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

What version of the JSS are you on? if its not 8.6, you're going to see odd results on any Mac running Mountain Lion.

ernstcs
Contributor III

You need to be on version 8.6 to properly collect inventory information for 10.8 systems.

dmartin
New Contributor

sorry, I am running 8.6, I should have stated that earlier.

ernstcs
Contributor III

What version of Casper Imaging are you using?

dmartin
New Contributor

8.6 but these machines were not imaged using casper, they are machines that were reconned a while back and I just noticed today that field was empty.

ernstcs
Contributor III

I imagine if the binary updated on them when they checked into the JSS and you ran a jamf recon cycle it would update properly then. Bottom line, you need all the components of 8.6 to make it inventory properly.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Is there anything else missing other than the Model info?
Is this happening consistently with any Mac running 10.8?

I wonder if you use System Profiler on those Macs what info it turns up. You can try remotely with system_profiler SPHardwareDataType or physically on the machines.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I've noticed that it takes a couple days to populate correctly, since it will use one inventory cycle to update the binary and then one more inventory cycle to correctly update the system information.

dmartin
New Contributor

Hi, thank for all the responses... I did a manual recon on a machine and it seemed to populate the hardware information.

mm2270: All the hardware info was missing, but showed back up after a manual recon. It seemed to be with machines that were in the JSS prior to my upgrade to 8.6 which I did yesterday. Any new machine I add with 10.8 on it shows up properly.

Since there are only a few machines with 10.8 in our JSS, I will dow what alexjdale suggested and give it a few days to see if they repopulate.

Dan