Extension Attribute to identify systems with Windows

mjames
Contributor

Hi all,

I am looking to set up an Inventory Search to identify system running our Windows Image for I can set up a smart group of those particular systems, I am thinking I will need an Extension Attribute - has anyone done something similar to this before?

Thanks

Matt

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

mjames
Contributor

I believe I have found my own solution.

I have just altered the Extension Attribute script that looks for the Recovery Partition, to search for our Windows drive name instead.

View solution in original post

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Hey Matt,

Chiming in a bit late here, but back in like 2008 or 2009 I deployed Windows to a ton of Macs. They were a dual boot configuration. We had to have Windows and a dual boot config to run a specific application, so I used a dummy receipt system (this was pre Extension Attributes) to track if they had an NTFS partition or not. Then I could scope saved searches by if they had the dummy receipt or not.

I just used the `df` command. You could do something similar, here is my example (note I don't have a NTFS system available):

df -T hfs
Filesystem   512-blocks      Used Available Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2  975093952 232630808 741951144    24%    /
/dev/disk1s1     204720    147456     57264    73%    /Volumes/Casper Suite SDK - November 2011
/dev/disk2s1     204720     95288    109432    47%    /Volumes/Resource Kit - November 2011

So, if you did a df -T ntfs it should list any ntfs partitions present. From there you can grep, awk, or check exit status to see if one is present.

If you don't have a working solution, hopefully this may help.

Thanks,
Tom

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mjames
Contributor

I believe I have found my own solution.

I have just altered the Extension Attribute script that looks for the Recovery Partition, to search for our Windows drive name instead.

chris_kemp
Contributor III

I believe you could also simply specify search criteria as:

OS Configuration Information -> Operating System -> not like OS X

tlarkin
Honored Contributor

Hey Matt,

Chiming in a bit late here, but back in like 2008 or 2009 I deployed Windows to a ton of Macs. They were a dual boot configuration. We had to have Windows and a dual boot config to run a specific application, so I used a dummy receipt system (this was pre Extension Attributes) to track if they had an NTFS partition or not. Then I could scope saved searches by if they had the dummy receipt or not.

I just used the `df` command. You could do something similar, here is my example (note I don't have a NTFS system available):

df -T hfs
Filesystem   512-blocks      Used Available Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2  975093952 232630808 741951144    24%    /
/dev/disk1s1     204720    147456     57264    73%    /Volumes/Casper Suite SDK - November 2011
/dev/disk2s1     204720     95288    109432    47%    /Volumes/Resource Kit - November 2011

So, if you did a df -T ntfs it should list any ntfs partitions present. From there you can grep, awk, or check exit status to see if one is present.

If you don't have a working solution, hopefully this may help.

Thanks,
Tom