How to put app file on user desktop

Nguyen
New Contributor III

Hi Everyone

how do i use JSS to put the app file on all user desktop. Need instruction in detail cause i am a beginner.
thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Nguyen
New Contributor III

Hi RichMac

Thank you for the reply, sorry i was not make it clear. I am write an applescript and save as app script. Could i still do your method, so the user could just run the dmg file.
My purpose is i have an apple script save as app file and the script is mapping the network drive however i don't want it run to map the drive when user login. I want to put it on the user desktop or self service and if the user want to map the drive, just run the file. Is it possible?
Please help or advise other better method.
Thanks

View solution in original post

chris_kemp
Contributor III

If I understand, you have a mapping script, saved as an app, that you want to place on any user's Desktop, correct?

If that's the case, then RichMac's directions are correct. Put your "app" on the Desktop of the machine you build on. When you drag it into Composer, it will recognize the path as being /Users/your user name/Desktop. By applying the FEU checkbox to the package in Casper Admin, that will tell Casper to replicate the file(s) in question, which belong to a particular user, to ALL users of the computer.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

richmac
New Contributor III
  1. Create a package using "Composer" by dragging the app from the desktop into composer
  2. Upload the dmg into Casper Admin
  3. Choose a deployment method (Policy via JSS, Casper Remote/Imaging)
  4. Scope to the relevant computers
  5. Add the package you uploaded to Casper Admin
  6. Check the box labeled "FEU or Fill Existing Users" in the package tab
  7. Deploy

Nguyen
New Contributor III

Hi RichMac

Thank you for the reply, sorry i was not make it clear. I am write an applescript and save as app script. Could i still do your method, so the user could just run the dmg file.
My purpose is i have an apple script save as app file and the script is mapping the network drive however i don't want it run to map the drive when user login. I want to put it on the user desktop or self service and if the user want to map the drive, just run the file. Is it possible?
Please help or advise other better method.
Thanks

chris_kemp
Contributor III

If I understand, you have a mapping script, saved as an app, that you want to place on any user's Desktop, correct?

If that's the case, then RichMac's directions are correct. Put your "app" on the Desktop of the machine you build on. When you drag it into Composer, it will recognize the path as being /Users/your user name/Desktop. By applying the FEU checkbox to the package in Casper Admin, that will tell Casper to replicate the file(s) in question, which belong to a particular user, to ALL users of the computer.

Nguyen
New Contributor III

Hi Chris

Yes that is correct and i will following both of your instructions and let you know how i go.
Thank you for your help.

Nguyen
New Contributor III

Thanks guys, it is working.