Sporadic package installation failures via policy

chappj01
New Contributor

I've been running into some sporadic policy failures on policies that are installing .pkg-based software. Notably, Flash Player (.pkg) and some Xerox print drivers (.mpkg). It almost seems like the policy is kicking off, the file download from the distribution point starts, and then gets interrupted (perhaps by a laptop being closed), but then the policy just continues trying to install the parts of the package that were downloaded. The common thing that I've noticed between all of them is that they aren't flat packages. There aren't any spaces in the package file names either.

Any suggestions for improving the reliability of this? My environment is less than 30 computers, so it seems like something is wrong for me to be getting so many failures...

Here's a sample of the failures:

Event log from the policy:

/usr/sbin/jamf is version 8.6 Executing Policy Xerox Print Drivers... Mounting smb://(servernameremoved)/Casper to /Volumes/Casper... Copying Xerox PL Print Drivers 2.0.13... Installing Xerox PL Print Drivers 2.0.13... Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is Xerox Printer
installer: Upgrading at base path /
installer: The upgrade failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.) Copying Xerox Print Drivers 2.71.0... Installing Xerox Print Drivers 2.71.0... Installation failed. The installer reported: installer: Package name is Xerox Printer
installer: Upgrading at base path /
installer: The upgrade failed (The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.) Unmounting file server... Running Recon... Locating mobile device records...

6 REPLIES 6

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

AAMEE packages have a problem with SMB...just curious, do you get failure if you force AFP?

--
https://donmontalvo.com

ernstcs
Contributor III

I don't believe it happens on the Flash PKG, but I know Flash in general does NOT like it when a browser is open when it installs. Also, if you see install errors in the JSS logs you then really need to dig deeper into the other installer logs on the box to see more about what error it is throwing. The JSS part is useless in terms of diagnosing the real problem, you gotta dig deeper.

chappj01
New Contributor

@Don - This is a Flash Player package, not an AAMEE package. Unfortunately, SMB is the only option, as the distribution points are all WIndows boxes. We're using the same systems that act as our SCCM distribution points. The other packages are Xerox supplied mpkg files.

@Craig - You're right - digging deeper into the logs on one of the machines is returning the info below... Wonder what would cause it to randomly not be able to authorize correctly?

1. installer[2098]: Product archive /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Downloads/Xerox_PL_Print_Drivers_2.0.13.mpkg trustLevel=202 2. Sep 15 13:31:32 (system name removed) installer[2098]: -[IFDInstallController(Private) _buildInstallPlan]: location = file://localhost 3. Sep 15 13:31:32 (system name removed) installer[2098]: -[IFDInstallController(Private) _buildInstallPlan]: file://localhost/Library/Application%20Support/JAMF/Downloads/Xerox_PL_Print_Drivers_2.0.13.mpkg#magicalpackage.pkg 4. Sep 15 13:31:32 --- last message repeated 1 time --- 5. Sep 15 13:31:32 (system name removed) installer[2098]: Set authorization level to root for session 6. Sep 15 13:31:32 (system name removed) runner[2100]: Administrator authorization granted. 7. Sep 15 13:31:32 (system name removed) installer[2098]: Will use PK session 8. Sep 15 13:31:32 (system name removed) installer[2098]: Starting installation: 9. Sep 15 13:31:32 (system name removed) installer[2098]: Configuring volume "Macintosh HD" 10. Sep 15 13:31:32 (system name removed) installer[2098]: Preparing disk for local booted install. 11. Sep 15 13:31:32 (system name removed) installer[2098]: Free space on "Macintosh HD": 228.78 GB (228775198720 bytes). 12. Sep 15 13:31:32 (system name removed) installer[2098]: Create temporary directory "/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n0000000000000/T//Install.2098VOdsKP" 13. Sep 15 13:31:32 (system name removed) installer[2098]: IFPKInstallElement (2 packages) 14. Sep 15 13:31:32 (system name removed) installer[2098]: Using authorization level of root for IFPKInstallElement 15. Sep 15 13:31:33 (system name removed) installd[2101]: installd: Starting 16. Sep 15 13:31:33 (system name removed) installd[2101]: installd: uid=0, euid=0 17. Sep 15 13:31:33 (system name removed) installer[2098]: Couldn't instantiate install client: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=100 "Authorization is required to install the packages." UserInfo=0x7fc84ac4b410 {NSLocalizedDescription=Authorization is required to install the packages.} 18. Sep 15 13:31:33 (system name removed) installer[2098]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance. 19. Sep 15 13:31:53 (system name removed) installd[2101]: installd: Exiting.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

@Jon

You can enable IIS for package distribution as well. You'll get resumable downloads which is a nice win. See here:
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4266

Just make a separate site that uses a different port for your Casper package distribution (I believe SCCM uses the default site).

You may want to try re-propogating the permissions down through your CasperShare as well. I've seen issues with mpkg files in particular where doing so resolves it.

ryanhollitz
New Contributor

I too am getting errors with Xerox Print Drivers. Often the install failure is due to not being able to mount the CasperShare, but why have they stopped working all the sudden.

djdavetrouble
Contributor III

I am getting this same error trying to install the xcode mobile dev. pkg's, and also when installing some adobe pkg's. Did you ever figure it out? I have been playing around with /etc/authorization to no avail.