CS6, Profiles and Application Restrictions

plawrence
Contributor II

Hi all

We have upgraded to Adobe CS6 and have a profile with Application Restrictions on our client machines. When running any CS6 application a prompt 'You dont have permission to use the application "adobe_licutil."

The system.log shows the path to the application as /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/P6/adobe_licutil.app/Contents/MacOS/adobe_licutil so I tried adding the following paths to the 'Allowed Folders' list:

/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/P6/adobe_licutil.app/Contents/MacOS/adobe_licutil
/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/P6/adobe_licutil.app/
/Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/

But none of them seemed to have any effect. Is anyone else managing this?

Thanks

Patrick

10 REPLIES 10

jkruse
New Contributor

I am having the same issue. I'm wondering if you have the Utilities folder blocked? Does the disallow folders override the allow folders list?

j99mac
Contributor

I a having a similar issue where when I longin with a network user I can not access application I am using Configuration Profiles in JSS but do not use application profiles. Any thoughts on why this might be happening?

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@plawrence Have you applied all CS6 updates? And are you locking down any folders (like /Applications/Utilities/)?

--
https://donmontalvo.com

jserapio
New Contributor

I have a similar workflow(not related to CS6, but related to 'allow folders'). Wondering what was the outcome/solution to this.

McGowan
New Contributor

Has anyone found a fix for this? We are having the same problem. We have a restrictions configuration profile blocking the Utilities folder. We tried adding the Adobe Application manager folder to the whitelist, but we still got 'You dont have permission to use the application "adobe_licutil."

Karlhehr
New Contributor II

You need to allow access to the folders in the Utilities folder. I had to go in and black list the specific apps in the utilities folder that I wanted blocked. Originally I had /Applications/Utilities blacklisted this would not allow CS6 to launch a lot of the apps. Once I allowed access to /Utilities things launched better. I still can't trackdown dynamiclinkmanager or CS6 Service Manager. Both are still coming up blocked.

Karlhehr
New Contributor II

dynamiclinkmanager is an app launched from /Library/Application Support
CS6 Service manager is an app launched from /Library/Application Support

So I am allowing apps to launch from /Applications
/Applications/Utilities
/Library

I then blacklist the apps I don't want to be run from /Utilities ; (Terminal, Console, etc)

Seems to be working fine now. We will have about 250 students trying to use the apps in the mornings so we will see.

McGowan
New Contributor

I was able to find a way to get CS6 to work while still leaving the utilities folder blacklisted. We do not want our students going into the utilities folder and launching anything.

I was able to move the Adobe Application Manager to the Applications folder. I then created a symbolic link that pointed from the Utilities folder to the applications folder. Lastly, I used the chflags command to set the adobe application manager folder as hidden. I ran the following command lines on our machines through ARD. After testing obviously.

mv -f /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager/ /Applications/Adobe Application Manager/
ln -s /Applications/Adobe Application Manager/ /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Application Manager
chflags hidden /Applications/Adobe Application Manager/

I hope this helps for anyone that was in the same position as us.

bajones
Contributor II

@Karlhehr

Good call. You saved me some time today!

steveadams
New Contributor III

@McGowen
You legend! thank you