Disabling Automatically update safe downloads option in Security Preference Pane

suleymantwana
New Contributor III

Does anyone know how to disable System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> Advanced button -> Automatically update safe downloads list vis local MCX or Casper Managed Preferences?

6 REPLIES 6

theraven
New Contributor II

I really need to know how to do this Apple is disabling Java which disables our users from using Juniper to VPN into our corporate network.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

There's more information about this on this thread:
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=6455

franton
Valued Contributor III

Quick copy+paste from Jared Nichols.

#!/bin/sh

#Filename: xprotectDisable.sh
#Purpose: Disable XProtect and delete it's settings file
#Author: Jared F. Nichols

# Disable XProtect
launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.xprotectupdater.plist

# Kill the xprotect meta file
rm -f /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/XProtect.meta.plist

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

I worked with Jared on this script (translation: he did all the work). One suggestion for "version 2" - an accompanying package to replace Xprotect.meta.plist file with a modified version (instead of just deleting it entirely). That way we're not throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Presently, the only other thing that it blocks is Flash below 11.3-ish, but this has the potential to grow, and you may want to continue blocking other things. Maybe this can even be leveraged to manually block something Apple isn't yet.

But seriously, props to Jared for the discovery of the launch daemon that updates this.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Oh god....

Did I really put "it's" in the purpose comment?

(Facepalm)

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

And JP... No need for an additional "package" for v2. Just use some of the plistbuddy action I tried on the overrides.plist I showed you earlier today on the xprotect.meta.plist file instead.