Software Update Server not Being Set Correctly by JSS?

sgrall-pfg
Contributor

Has anyone else had an issue where the Apple Software Update Server defined in the JSS looks like it's applied correctly (defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL shows the server), but it still pulls from Apple's Internet servers? I had to manually change the setting from Terminal before it starting looking at my internal SUS. If anyone else is having a similar issue, I'll submit a report to my account rep. I'm not sure how this is possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

10.8 clients? I've noticed on mine that there is a trailing space in the catalog url.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

bentoms

10.8 clients? I've noticed on mine that there is a trailing space in the catalog url.

sgrall-pfg
Contributor

Yes, 10.8 clients. I confirmed that it is setting it with a trailing space at the end, so maybe that's the problem. I'll report it to JAMF.

bentoms

franton
Valued Contributor III

Best to implement this through MCX as we've found.

bentoms

From support (I hope they don't mind).

At the present time, we don't have a production release with a fix for this issue, but for your records our internal system has this bug as D-003070, so feel free to check in with future release notes. Our internal notes show that this is only on Late 2011 MBP and setting it with a policy. So, workarounds we have for these is either scripting the .plist change, using a config profile, or MCX settings seem to work as well.

franton
Valued Contributor III

Disagree. We've found it an issue on everything we have. That's 2007 imacs upwards.

bentoms

Let your JAMF rep know. Defect ID is above.

acdesigntech
Contributor II

i'm planning to just use a config profile for this. Has anyone run across problems with this method?

gibson_lee
New Contributor

I kept getting error messages about this from the clients. By default "Set Software Update Server" was using http://servername:8088/index.sucatalog and I could not access through a browser either.

I found a thread from Apple and tested the recommended location and am going to test a script that states:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL http://server.domain:8088/index-mountainlion-lion-snowleopard-leopard.merged-1.sucatalog

I was able to access this through a web browser.

acdesigntech
Contributor II

interesting. That was the ONLY way i was able to get my 10.6 and 10.8 clients both to see the SUS. If I specified an sucatalog, I would get varying results. Some updates would show, but not others. It was just weird. index.sucatalog seems to work pretty consistently, but not consistent with what Apple documents.

bentoms

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5240

Still works for me with 10.8.