Having Problems Creating a licensed Sublime Text package

mruiz
New Contributor

I'm trying to create a deployable package for Sublime Text that is licensed so I can just push it out to all of out Macs. I'm using Composer to do this and am taking the Snapshot then installing the Application and licensing it before taking the final Snapshot and creating the .dmg. I use Casper Remote to push it out to a test machine and then when I open it on that machine it is not licensed. I've tried creating .pkg files, using Modified Snapshot but this Application will not install with license. I've created several licensed .dmg files using Composer previously but this one is being a pain. Any ideas?

10 REPLIES 10

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

From http://www.sublimetext.com/sales_faq:

Multiple Operating Systems or Computers Licenses are per-user, so you're welcome to use the one license on all computers and operating systems where you are the primary user. For businesses, the number of users must equal the number of licenses.
Educational Institutions If you would like to purchase Sublime Text for use in a computer lab, it is not necessary to have the number of licenses equal to the number of students. You may purchase the lesser of either: 1) the number of computers that will have Sublime Text installed or 2) the number of students who will be using Sublime Text.

I use Sublime Text extensively and I would say that the program is creating a license that is being tied to the specific machine and therefore not going to work once deployed.

If I needed to do this, I would capture the program itself, then Monitor File System Changes to try to determine what the licensing is changing. You might have to script the license deployment or create different packages for each license.

mruiz
New Contributor

That's my fear as well. We have a volume license and I just wanted to mass deploy the package to existing machine and then add it the build. Didn't want to have to have to script the license in, trying to keep everything as uncomplicated as possible.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Does the vendor have a solution? If you've purchased it, there should be some support that should at least give you an idea of how the license mechanism works so you can deploy all those licenses you've bought...

mruiz
New Contributor

Contacting the vendor is my next step, I just hate dealing with vendor support as they never seem to understand what I'm trying to accomplish and i end up on a multi hour call with usually little resolution. Was so hoping that someone out in the Nation had come across the same or similar issue.

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

Yeah, I hear ya. Every now and again a vendor surprises you though. Just look at Jamf :)

mscottblake
Valued Contributor

I didn't think he did volume licenses? Not to hijack your thread, but how did you manage that?

Jpcorzo
Contributor

I'm having the same problem and trying to figure out how to push the license after packaging. I see there's a License.sublime_license file created under the logged in user once it is applied. Is there a way to script that this file gets pushed to /Users/$CurrentUser/Library/Application Support/Sublime Text 2/settings/license.sublime_license ? Fairly new to shell scripting so not really sure if it is possible.

justinkenyon
New Contributor

This is still an issue with Sublime Text 3 ... anyone have any solutions to deploying a serialized / licensed version?

Jpcorzo
Contributor

I ended up creating two policies. First one installs the application only, second one i applied the license to the application and packaged. Then, on Casper Admin i just select FEU, FUT when uploading. THis should install the license file on the user currently logged in. Hope i make sense and helps you out

rodders
New Contributor III

Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but Ive tried all sorts to get this to work with a separate license package install for Sublime Text 3 build 3143
The file gets pushed and correctly so through the FUT and FET, but the app still shows as unregistered.
Just wanted to know if Im trying to do something thats not possible or if Im doing something wrong.

Cheers