User Initiated Enrolment process for standard users?

Cook
New Contributor II

JAMF Guru's,

Our organisation is trying enrol all pre 2012 Apple hardware using the self enrol process. The problem is a lot of the users don't have admin rights which is required to install the quickadd.pkg. New apple hardware isn't an issue as out of the box deployments are configured correctly with JSS. The main issue is i have a large amount of users unable to enrol and require an IT Officer with local admin rights to patch them which is a timely exercise .

Any ideas?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

If you users don't have admin rights, I'm guessing you've got the environment set up already to be able to push to the workstations? ;)

Recon. ARD. SCP. TB2...lots of options...

--
https://donmontalvo.com

View solution in original post

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

User Initiated Enrollment isn't intended for the managed client set. Its more for the BYOD crowd to get their personal Mac enrolled under management so they can access various services. Its just mimicking the iOS self enrollment process that's been in place for awhile now.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

If you users don't have admin rights, I'm guessing you've got the environment set up already to be able to push to the workstations? ;)

Recon. ARD. SCP. TB2...lots of options...

--

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

User Initiated Enrollment isn't intended for the managed client set. Its more for the BYOD crowd to get their personal Mac enrolled under management so they can access various services. Its just mimicking the iOS self enrollment process that's been in place for awhile now.

Cook
New Contributor II

Thanks we are currently using ARD atm but though there may be a way around the issue and save us some time.

I wasn't able to get recon working due to some unknown network infrastructure issues. I will revisit this network scanning option again.

Cheers for the post.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Not sure what you mean by "unknown network infrastructure issues". :)

Recon is only effective if (1) Remote Login (ssh) is enabled on the Macs and (2) you have the required credentials loaded up. Else it's pretty useless if you're trying to remotely get Macs into JSS.

ARD is even more limited, it requires (1) Remote Management is enabled and (2) the required credentials (one shot).

If Recon/ARD don't work, you're looking at sneaker-net or emailing the QuickAdd installer to your users (or providing a download link to it since it's a flat package) and that'll require someone with admin rights to install. The only think I can think of is if ARD is multicasting and raising flags with the network group?

Don

--

Cook
New Contributor II

Yea i think we only ever had remote management enabled which is why ARD was ok. We can at least deploy the package with ARD which is cool.

Thanks for your support.