Issue with some new Apple hardware not allowing netboot or external boot for JSS casper imaging.

Cook
New Contributor II

JSS Guru's,

It has been brought to my attention as of recently that most new apple hardware my organisation purchases no longer allows us to image. I tested myself on a few 2013 MacBooks and iMacs using either netboot or an external drive with a replicated distribution point. I cant actually give any info about the error as all i get when i try holding the N key or the option key is a circle with a vertical line through it.

I havent found much info out on the www about it but suspect it may be hardware or a firmware change apple have made that may of caused the issue.

Sorry i am not the most knowledgable Apple guru out in the world but would really appreciate any feedback of what may bee the root cause of the issue as its hampering out deployment operations.

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

frozenarse
Contributor II

I'm guessing that the OS of your netboot image is out of date and doesn't contain the latest drivers for the new hardware.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

frozenarse
Contributor II

I'm guessing that the OS of your netboot image is out of date and doesn't contain the latest drivers for the new hardware.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159

katcat01
New Contributor

yes -You need to create a new Netboot image, using one of those new machines - and you'll be fine.

sgrall-pfg
Contributor

Once 10.8.3 is out, if you install the 10.8.3 Combo update on top of your existing image, it will support the new hardware (until more new hardware is released afterward with a newer OS build). I've been waiting on 10.8.3 since November for this reason.

chris_kemp
Contributor III

Ran into this problem with Mac Mini servers - they did not boot my 10.8.2 image either, I had to build a special boot image from one of the new servers.

hkim
Contributor II

The newest equipment uses special builds of 10.8.2and not the normal one that most machines run which is I believe either 12C60 or below.

10.8.3 should unify things, should being the operable word.