PerUser Licensing question

Jpcorzo
Contributor

Hello JAMF Gurus,
I need to package a few apps that require a license, the problem is that when creating the dmgs on composer, if I add the license key during the capture, it loads the license file within the logged user folder. What are you guys doing with this type of apps and deployments ? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

J

what you could do is use the FEU/FAU settings for the license plist or if activation is possible via command line, run it at login for users. what software is it by the way. its possible someone here has figured it out
just my .02

LS

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

J

what you could do is use the FEU/FAU settings for the license plist or if activation is possible via command line, run it at login for users. what software is it by the way. its possible someone here has figured it out
just my .02

LS

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

We avoid DMG format because it's proprietary, field techs can't simply double-click a DMG "package". Several twists on loop scripts, here's one that was stolen from several gurus on this list... ;)

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=11

--
https://donmontalvo.com

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I'm not a huge fan of the dmg format myself, but in this case, unless you plan on making this pkg ultra portable, as in, something you can deploy from ARD as well, it might be easiest to just go with using FEU/FUT as LSInNY suggests. The license file that gets captured in your currently logged in home folder would remain when packaging it up as a dmg, but Casper Suite uses it as a wildcard and will simply place it in all user home directories in the same path (for ex, /Users/*/Library/Preferences/) if you check the FEU option. It does something similar with the FUT option, but instead copies it to the same general location in the System User Template. That means any newly created accounts from that point will get the license file.

As suggested, you can also split this up into 2 packages. a .pkg for your application install and a .dmg for just the license file using FEU/FUT. However, depending on the app you're talking about, that may be overcomplicating things.

And lastly there is don's suggestion of creating a single .pkg installer, but one that uses a postflight or postinstall script to copy the license file from a /tmp/ location into all user home folders on the system.

While there may be some variations on these, those are the primary ways most here are solving the issue of getting files into the user space. The first 2 are using built in Casper Suite processes, but they require the use of a dmg format. The last is a special process involving a custom .pkg install and embedded script to handle it.

Jpcorzo
Contributor

Thank you for the responses guys, the application i'm working on is Sublime Text 2. I'm going to play around with both suggested options.