Removing Apple Home Sync

rgerman
Contributor

I am moving away from Apple Portable Home Directories in favor of CrashPlan and would like to stop HomeSyncing on computers that already have Mobile accounts. I am running tests on my own account and am a bit perplexed.No matter what I do my computer keeps trying to HomeSync. I removed my user account from the Directory Group that had home syncing configured. I deleted the managed preferences on my machine, I unbound and rebound the computer. If I run the ID command in terminal it clearly shows I am not part of the Portable Home Directory group. I deleted the MCX plist, I deleted the ~/FileSync folder but my computer is determined to HomeSync. Does anyone know where the settings for home sync are hiding???

BTW - I also ran dscacheutil -flushcache and when I hold the option key when logging into my account, it does not show any Mobile Account group...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rlandgraf
Contributor
#!/bin/sh

users=`ls /Users| cut -d"/" -f3`
for i in $users; do
    rm -Rf /Users/$i/.FileSync
    rm -Rf /Users/$i/Library/Preferences/com.apple.homeSync.plist
done

This is the script we ran, it seems to still leave the house for the syncing in the status bar but it no longer tries to sync anything.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

rlandgraf
Contributor
#!/bin/sh

users=`ls /Users| cut -d"/" -f3`
for i in $users; do
    rm -Rf /Users/$i/.FileSync
    rm -Rf /Users/$i/Library/Preferences/com.apple.homeSync.plist
done

This is the script we ran, it seems to still leave the house for the syncing in the status bar but it no longer tries to sync anything.

musat
Contributor III

Glad this was posted as we will be turning off Home Sync this Summer and was going to be looking for this at some point.

musat
Contributor III

Anyone know a way via script to remove the Home Sync icon? I know you can Command-Drag the icon off the bar, but I don't want to have to explain that to 200 staff members.

daniel_behan
Contributor III

I remove it via MCX.

The domain is com.apple.mcxMenuExtras

The Key Name is HomeSync.menu

It's triggered by Boolean