JSSDatabaseUtil Cannot Locate MySQL Binaries

timst1919
New Contributor

So i have been messing with this and I have run out of ideas. I am in the middle of moving our Casper environment from an Apple XServe to a Windows 2008 R2 Box. I have installed all of the required software on the Windows box (JDK, JCE, MySQL Community 5.6, and JSS 8.7) and started up the new JSS. However, when i try to restore the database I backed up this morning (from our XServe) the utility tells me it cannot locate the MySQL binaries and prompts me to locate it manually. When i navigate to the location (C:Program FilesMySQLMySQL Server 5.6in) it tells me that "The mysql and mysqldump binaries do not appear to be present at this location" Any help would would be amazing as I am brand new to the community and dead in the water.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

jhenkel
New Contributor

I do not have a solution - but i can see the same problem here on a Machine we just installed, so - you are not alone ;)

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

You can at least get around it by doing the export/import manually.

Export on your XServe:
1. Log into mysql

mysql -u root -p

2. In your mysql shell run:

FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK
  1. In another Terminal session (keeping the previous one in step 2 open to maintain the global read lock) do:
    mysqldump -u root -p --databases jamfsoftware > /path/to/jamfsoftware.mysqldump
  2. When that is done, go back to your first Terminal session and do
    UNLOCK TABLES
  3. Quit out of mysql and copy your .mysqldump file to your Windows server.
  4. Import your database. Drop to a cmd shell and do
    mysql -u root -p jamfsoftware < /path/to/jamfsoftware.mysqldump
  5. Kick the Tomcat service in the ass and open up your Casper web console and you should see the JSS run through its initial startup sequence.

I assumed with step 6 that you'd already run through the JSS install on Windows so the jamfsoftware database already exists. If not, create it first manually. Those steps are in the manual setup instructions.

jhenkel
New Contributor

Hi Jared,

thanks for the tips. In our case i don't need to import an old db, but i need the Customer to be able to use the GUI that comes with the product - which is not working out of the Box anymore.
I didn't spent too much time troubleshooting ... but will let you know if i figure out a workaround on the windows server...

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

It may be something as stupid as adding "C:Program FilesMySQLMySQL Server 5.6in" to the PATH global environment variable.

cvgs
Contributor II

This can also be caused by an malformed my.ini file. Just execute mysqladmin manually on the command line - if an error is shown, then the GUI App won't work either (and display the misleading error message).

jhenkel
New Contributor

hmmm....i have copied the bin-folder to another location - and it works....but thats not a good Solution... but it seems that there is a Problem with the path....maybe it doesn't like spaces anymore? ;)

ahambidge
New Contributor II

For the record, jarednichols's solution worked for me on my 2008R2 box after a swift kick and a reboot. :)

hkim
Contributor II

hkim
Contributor II

For the record, if you have issues with getting your backup back into JSS via the JSS database utility java app (which I've always had issues working right the first time), Jared's method also works to restore a database.

Thanks Jared for being awesome sauce!