Recon 8.7 after Mac OS X 10.8.4 Update

mjames
Contributor

Since the update from Mac OS X 10.8.3 to 10.8.4, Recon will no longer launch - well, it looks like it has launched in the dock, but I got no Recon Window, and I can't quit the app with out force quitting.

Has anyone else seen this?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

russeller
Contributor III

I know I couldn't create QuickAdd packages while logged in as a mobile AD account, I had to log in as a local admin. Maybe try that.

View solution in original post

bajones
Contributor II

I have an easier solution to the dual monitor issue. When you are using only one display after using Casper Admin with two displays previously, after you open the program and the window doesn't appear just change your resolution and then change it back. This forces OS X to reorganize the open windows so they are all visible on the main display.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

mjames
Contributor

Oh - I have also tried reinstalling the app with no effect on the problem.

mjames
Contributor

Oh - I have also tried reinstalling the app with no effect on the problem.

jhbush
Valued Contributor II

mjames, it's working just fine for me. I would try repairing the permissions and removing the plist file.

russeller
Contributor III

I know I couldn't create QuickAdd packages while logged in as a mobile AD account, I had to log in as a local admin. Maybe try that.

mjames
Contributor

Yea, the Mobile AD Account seemed to be the problem. Using the localadmin account it worked ok.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Just wanted to say that this doesn't make much sense to me, unless some new bugs have been introduced into the product (not impossible) The issue with creating a QuickAdd.pkg from a network based account has been around for a long while now, but it has never in my experience prevented someone from just launching the Recon.app. Recon is used for more than just creating a QuickAdd package, such as running network scans or collecting inventory directly from a Mac for example. It should launch just fine under a network account.

I would say the reason it worked from your local account had everything to do with a new (or not corrupted) preferences file associated with the app and nothing to do with that it was a local account. I'd go back and delete that preference file from your other account and try it again.

One other possibility I can think of, only because I see this with Casper Admin.app (version 8.63) is that if I'm using an extended display (2nd monitor) and launch it, move it to the 2nd display, quit it and then disconnect from my monitor, say when I'm bringing my laptop home. If I later launch it, the preferences remember it being on the external display and will not show on my main laptop screen. (I assume its displaying "somewhere" in a non existent space) It launches, but is unusable since I can't see the Casper Admin window. The only fix is to dump the plist file and relaunch, re-enter server settings and credentials and then it shows up fine again. Not sure if that applies in your case, but it almost sounds like a similar problem.

I've been meaning to file a bug with JAMF on that, since I feel the app should figure out that there is no longer a 2nd display and adjust itself, just like every other app I've used in this manner.

bajones
Contributor II

I have an easier solution to the dual monitor issue. When you are using only one display after using Casper Admin with two displays previously, after you open the program and the window doesn't appear just change your resolution and then change it back. This forces OS X to reorganize the open windows so they are all visible on the main display.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Good one bajones. I didn't think of trying that, but you're right, that should work. What would be nicer is if the application just realized there is no longer a 2nd display and adjust itself. For example, I often use Microsoft Outlook at work on my external monitor. When I open it at home on my laptop, it auto adjusts and displays on my primary monitor. In short, its possible to make the app intelligent enough to do this, and I'd like to see JAMF add some intelligence into their core apps. I don't think that's asking too much, but until that happens, I'll be using the resolution change trick.
Thanks!