Do commands run as root or as the management user?

boberito
Valued Contributor

I'm wondering if I need to run commands that need full root access, do I need to do it with sudo or if they actually run as root when ran with a policy? Probably an easy question.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Fink
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi

Polices are run as root. The two instances when we use the management user are Casper Remote and Self Serivce. Casper Remote uses that account to SSH into the computer. Self Service also uses that account to escalate the current user to an admin user in order to install software.

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

talkingmoose

Policies are executed by the administrative account that Casper is using to manage the Mac. Effectively, any commands are run with elevated privileges. No need to use "sudo".

Fink
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi

Polices are run as root. The two instances when we use the management user are Casper Remote and Self Serivce. Casper Remote uses that account to SSH into the computer. Self Service also uses that account to escalate the current user to an admin user in order to install software.

Hope this helps!

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Not even is there no need to use sudo, you should not do so in your scripts, for security reasons.

boberito
Valued Contributor

Thanks Fink! That's exactly what I was wondering and it answered it perfectly.

kerouak
Valued Contributor

Not even is there no need to use sudo, you should not do so in your scripts, for security reasons

Mate, Many thanks for that 1 line of info....

Saved me a pile of isuues... Removing Sudo from my scripts sorted a multitude of self service issues....

CHEERS!

kerouak
Valued Contributor

Now, If only I wasn't receiving so much Spam emails after my Jamf nation account was hacked... I'd be over the moon :-0