User inventory?

vespar
New Contributor

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if Casper has this functionality, but I was looking for input on something we're trying to do. We have a laptop program here at the school I work at and we're trying to find a better way of handling user inventory tracking. Simply put, we'd like to tie all of the inventory data we have to a user account instead of tying a user account to the hardware inventory.

So say if I look up Johnny Appleseed, I can see the laptop assigned to him, the peripherals he may have, and even a user agreement form. I know all of those things can be tied to a machine but is there a way to tie it all to a user instead?

I know this may be a bit of a stretch. Just really love the Casper inventory system and would like to find a way to use it for this as well.

2 REPLIES 2

GSquared
New Contributor II

If this is not possible with Casper does anyone have any suggestions on software to do so?

Thanks!

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I'm not certain that its possible because Casper is really a hardware inventory system, not a user or personnel database. It can store some, or possibly all of the above information using Extension Attributes that pull information from another system like LDAP, but in the end it will always be associated with a machine record, not a user record.
There are likely products out there that can help do that though.

But, isn't that partly what directory services are for?