installing software after image

j99mac
Contributor

I have a base OSX Page for 10.7 that I have been installing on new Macs with Disk Utility. I then install other software for example Flash player on after manually. What is another better way of installing software when deploying new Macs? Any suggestions. I was thinking a polices would worker using self service. Any thoughts?

9 REPLIES 9

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Any reason you aren't using Casper Imaging instead of Disk Utility? Then you'd be able to streamline your process and install the additional software after your base image gets applied.

iJake
Valued Contributor

Use Casper Imaging with configurations built in Casper Admin and your life will instantly get better.

dmeridith
New Contributor III

what do you mean by that I have not been using this system too long sorry. I am also having a problem with some of them saying error parsing xml for autorun.

dmeridith
New Contributor III

I have configurations in casper admin then i set a prestage so it can automatically be imaged.

iJake
Valued Contributor

You might want to look into a JumpStart with Casper as they'll go over these things with you.

dmeridith
New Contributor III

we had a jumpstart.

dmeridith
New Contributor III

Where is the option in the jss to store the root password for all autorun data?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Auto run and Pre-Stage are not the same thing.

Auto-run = used for systems already in the JSS that you may want to re-image on a schedule or by demand. Often used in lab environments

Pre-Stage = used exclusively for new Macs that have not been imaged or enrolled in the JSS.

dmeridith
New Contributor III

I think the error parsing xml for autorun is comming from a bad local password. I have been trying alot of stuff I have deleted all autorun data at the request of jamf. this does not seem to help.