SPSS21 deployment package for Mac OS X 7 and 8 (site license)

kurniw
New Contributor

Hi everyone, I am a newbie here (just took CCA a couple weeks ago) and still learning how to script as well.
I am wondering if you can suggest the best way to deploy SPSS21 on the Mac. I have been following the suggestion by the IBM SPSS by using the silent install dmg and just run it using sudo ./*.bin and I was able to put the .bin and .properties of the silent install pkg under /Users/ and deploy it via policy and then run a script to install it and plan to write another script to remove .bin and .properties after successful installation. However, I run into problem when I tried to run the licenseactivator (under SPSS.app/Contents/bin) with the site license that I have saying that java can't open it. If I double click the licenseactivator.jar then I am able to activate the license. But when I try to check by clicking the license activation wizard then it would just give me a blank window.
Any ideas? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mattosaur4
New Contributor II

I've just setup SPSS 22 in JSS. To clarify I used rhys steps with some changes, as below:

Downloaded a silent installer from the IBM portal. This contains SPSS_Statistics_Installer.bin and installer.properties.

Edit the installer.properties file (remove the # comment markers & add details) to include whether you're doing a site or network license install - your serial goes in here too. (remove the ###)

The .bin and .properties files get placed into a holding area, I used /Library/Application Support/SPSS22-TEMP/. This folder is dragged into Composer and captured as a .dmg.

When creating your policy you add the SPSS.dmg under Packages, in Casper 9.21 it's then "Files & Processes" on the left and click the + in the last box Execute Command, put /Library/Management/Temp/SPSS_Statistics_Installer.bin (Noting this works as a policy but if I choose this in Casper Remote to deploy that way the Execute Command field doesn't get populated under the advanced tab, probably a Casper 9.21 bug. So I later changed this to a package as below)

I also needed to add Java for OS X 2013-005 and have it run prior to the dmg, used the Priority field to make this happen. (without this SPSS prompted during it's 'silent' install on 10.9 for it & then failed)

I also made a payload free package to run last with

#!/bin/sh
sudo /Library/Application Support/SPSS22-TEMP/SPSS_Statistics_Installer.bin (-f stuff doesn't seem necessary if the files in the same folder)

#some commands to add firewall exceptions sudo /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --unblockapp /Applications/IBM/SPSS/Statistics/22/SPSSStatistics.app
sudo /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --add /Applications/IBM/SPSS/Statistics/22/SPSSStatistics.app

#then some cleanup.
sudo rm -r /Library/Application Support/SPSS22-TEMP

It's also not completely silent some run / java type icons will appear in the Dock when it runs. Works for me under 10.8 / 10.9 so far with my basic testing.

Matt

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

aleks_gylys
New Contributor

Hi kurniw, before we moved to our own license server, we used a script to activate SPSS (until v19), run via policy or ARD. We deployed SPSS as a dmg created with Composer. I updated the script for v21 (according to where it's installed on our images and probably by default) below, but haven't tested it. Our code for v19 was 20 characters long (letters and numbers), not sure if that's how they roll anymore.

#!/bin/sh
installLocation=/Applications/IBM/SPSS/Statistics/21/
cd $installLocation/SPSSStatistics.app/Contents/bin
java -jar licenseactivator.jar CONSOLEMODE codes=(enteryourcodehere) proxyport=80 proxyhost=lm.spss.com

rhysforrester
New Contributor

We downloaded a silent installer from the IBM portal. This contains SPSS_Statistics_Installer.bin and installer.properties.

Edit the properties file to include whether you're doing a site or network license install - your serial goes in here too. We created a site-installer.properties and a network-installer.properties.

The .bin and .properties files get placed into a holding area, for us that's /Library/Management/Temp/. This folder is dragged into Composer and captured as a .dmg.

When creating your policy you select the SPSS.dmg you just created, and in the Advanced tab under Run Command, you type;

/Library/Management/Temp/SPSS_Statistics_Installer.bin -f /Library/Management/Temp/site-installer.properties

And you're done.

brooksa
New Contributor
  1. Install SPSS normally on one computer and activate that computer with your authcode while capturing with Composer.

2. Publish package to Casper Admin and push to desired computers. (This will "Break" activation because it's based on AuthCodes + Hardware)

3. In Terminal (or a script / policy) run the following 2 commands to re-activate SPSS on each machine:

cd /Applications/IBM/SPSS/Statistics/22/SPSSStatistics.app/Contents/bin
./licenseactivator *YOUR-authcode* PROXYHOST=proxy-hostname PROXYPORT=proxy-port-number PROXYUSER=proxy-userid PROXYPASS=proxy-password

*Might be a slightly different file path depending on your version on SPSS and where you installed it.

The proxy settings are optional, but you may need them if your computer is behind a proxy. Which proxy settings are needed depend on your specific proxy configuration. You might need all of them.

kurniw
New Contributor

Thank you everyone. I was partially using Rhysforrester tips (I used the script to install the silent installer and properties) but haven't edited the properties to use for the license keys instead I run that manually. I will try to edit the properties and test it out when I get a chance.
Thanks again.

bharris
New Contributor II

kurniw, did you get this working? I am trying to install and activate with the silent installer, but I am getting a license error. The install works fine if I use the GUI installer but not if I use the silent installer.

kurniw
New Contributor

Hi Bharris, sorry I haven't had a chance to test the silent license activation. I will probably test it during Christmas break.

mattosaur4
New Contributor II

I've just setup SPSS 22 in JSS. To clarify I used rhys steps with some changes, as below:

Downloaded a silent installer from the IBM portal. This contains SPSS_Statistics_Installer.bin and installer.properties.

Edit the installer.properties file (remove the # comment markers & add details) to include whether you're doing a site or network license install - your serial goes in here too. (remove the ###)

The .bin and .properties files get placed into a holding area, I used /Library/Application Support/SPSS22-TEMP/. This folder is dragged into Composer and captured as a .dmg.

When creating your policy you add the SPSS.dmg under Packages, in Casper 9.21 it's then "Files & Processes" on the left and click the + in the last box Execute Command, put /Library/Management/Temp/SPSS_Statistics_Installer.bin (Noting this works as a policy but if I choose this in Casper Remote to deploy that way the Execute Command field doesn't get populated under the advanced tab, probably a Casper 9.21 bug. So I later changed this to a package as below)

I also needed to add Java for OS X 2013-005 and have it run prior to the dmg, used the Priority field to make this happen. (without this SPSS prompted during it's 'silent' install on 10.9 for it & then failed)

I also made a payload free package to run last with

#!/bin/sh
sudo /Library/Application Support/SPSS22-TEMP/SPSS_Statistics_Installer.bin (-f stuff doesn't seem necessary if the files in the same folder)

#some commands to add firewall exceptions sudo /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --unblockapp /Applications/IBM/SPSS/Statistics/22/SPSSStatistics.app
sudo /usr/libexec/ApplicationFirewall/socketfilterfw --add /Applications/IBM/SPSS/Statistics/22/SPSSStatistics.app

#then some cleanup.
sudo rm -r /Library/Application Support/SPSS22-TEMP

It's also not completely silent some run / java type icons will appear in the Dock when it runs. Works for me under 10.8 / 10.9 so far with my basic testing.

Matt

philcebutv
New Contributor III

can you please post the link where you have downloaded the silent installer for SPSS statistics vets 22. I am having a great deal of time finding the silent installer.

I have found one but it the installer for patching the SPSS stat apps from 20.0.0.0 to 20.0.0.1 and does not work when I tried it.

this works but had trouble scripting it
cd /Applications/IBM/SPSS/Statistics/22/SPSSStatistics.app/Contents/bin
./licenseactivator YOUR-authcode PROXYHOST=proxy-hostname PROXYPORT=proxy-port-number PROXYUSER=proxy-userid PROXYPASS=proxy-password

joshuasee
Contributor III

You download it from the IBM PassportAdvantage website. You need an IBM account and authorization from whoever handled the sale of SPSS to your institution to access it. Unfortunately, I can't find an "official" login page to bookmark, but try https://www.ibm.com/software/howtobuy/passportadvantage/paocustomer/