Yet Another Guest Account Question

twrangham
New Contributor III

Ok, so I may be confused but please let me know if you are seeing the same thing or how you are disabling the guest account?

- I am using a Login Window Config Profile with "Allow guest user" NOT checked
- I am using a Managed Preference com.apple.MCX to Disable Guest Account

However, on my MB Pro, 10.8.4 w/ FV2 turned ON, in Users & Groups System Prefs it still shows Guest User as Enabled and Managed. I can't Uncheck the box to "Allow guests to log in to this computer".

Any ideas? Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

vadanx
Contributor

I use a script as part of my imaging process (FirstRun).

#!/bin/sh
# Show username / password fields
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow SHOWFULLNAME -bool true
# Disallow guest network fileshare access
defaults write /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.smb.server AllowGuestAccess -bool NO
# Disallow guest network fileshare access
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.AppleFileServer guestAccess -bool NO
# Stop messages about accounts available on other disks
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow EnableExternalAccounts -bool false
# Enable computer info toggle by clicking on the time on login window
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow AdminHostInfo HostName
# Remove Fast User Switching option
defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences MultipleSessionEnabled -bool NO
# Set time that login window warns about password expiry
defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow PasswordExpirationDays 15

The 2 lines mentioning guest access, disables guest access at the login window.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

twrangham
New Contributor III

Thanks Andrew, so to confirm your Guest User in the Users & GRoups shows as Disabled, Managed?

vadanx
Contributor

Yes, just checked actually to confirm!

"Guest User
Disabled"

Andrew

nkalister
Valued Contributor

hi twrangham- you wouldn't happen to have find my mac enabled on that mac would you? the combination of FV2 and find my mac forces the guest user 'honeypot' functionality which enables the guest login check box regardless of your MCX.

njwinter
New Contributor II

I'm seeing this, too. The Guest User should be completely disabled but still appears in FileVault. It also appears in the Users & Groups control panel as "Enabled, Managed" and is not editable by the admin user.

• Only one local account, an admin
  • No directory services
  • Enrolled in Casper; managed prefs set to disable Guest User
  • No AppleIDs, no iCloud.