iTunes - disable software updates checking

rongrw
New Contributor

Hi Guys,

We're intending to deploy a policy to disable checking of software updates in iTunes. There is a command-line that will do this and I've created a script around this command. The script is shown below:

#!/bin/sh
# Shell script to disable software update checking in iTunes.
# Compatible with iTunes 11.1 and earlier.
# R.Grunwald, 27 Sep 2013
#------------------------------------------------------------
LOGIN_ID=$3
echo "Updating preference file for ... "${LOGIN_ID}
sudo -u ${LOGIN_ID} defaults write com.apple.iTunes disableCheckForUpdates -bool YES

However, the setting doesn't apply and we can still select iTunes -> Check for Updates from the Apple menu-bar. When I run the above defaults command in Terminal, an error message appears as shown below.

bash-3.2# sudo -u appletest defaults write com.apple.iTunes disableCheckForUpdates -bool YES
2013-09-27 11:54:10.665 defaults[4254:a07] Could not write domain /Users/appletest/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes; exiting
bash-3.2#

The permissions and ownership of the iTunes (.plist) files are:
bash-3.2# ls -l *iTunes*
-rw------- 1 appletest staff 14702 Sep 27 11:43 com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist
-rw------- 1 appletest staff 119693 Sep 27 11:44 com.apple.iTunes.plist

I really can't figure out why the iTunes (.plist) file cannot be modified. Would anyone have any suggestions?
Our test environment uses Macs running OS X 10.8.2 and iTunes 11.1. Our Casper JSS is version 8.7.

Cheers,
Ron.

3 REPLIES 3

jennifer
Contributor

I tried using "disableCheckForUpdates -bool YES" on the plist as well. I didn't get an error like you did, but it didn't change anything either.

After playing with it for way too long, I ended up using Composer to capture the plist and creating a dmg.

It is working fine for new installs, but I haven't seen the result yet for users who already have libraries setup. Thats on the list for testing later this week, I"ll let you know how it goes.

My test environment is using 10.8.4 and 10.8.5 with iTunes 11.1.

EDIT: This might not work for you if you are trying to stop users from turning it back on again. My focus was just to stop the unwanted update announcement, users can turn it back on if they want (even though they still can't install it without Admin rights).

gregneagle
Valued Contributor

"We're intending to deploy a policy to disable checking of software updates in iTunes. There is a command-line that will do this "

Pretty sure this only disables automatic (background/at launch) checks for iTunes updates. It does not prevent manual checks.

This is manageable via MCX or profiles: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3490

rongrw
New Contributor

Thank you very much to Jennifer and Greg for your advice.

I find the idea of controlling iTunes settings with configuration profiles very appealling. I'm going to experiment with this using the "Custom Settings" payload and post the outcome to the forum.

Cheers,
Ron.