Adobe XI Pro updates?

makander
Contributor

Since I'm on my quest to revoke admin right from the users at my workplace I have to go through all applications and set them to not update or update themselves.

Now I'm wondering how you manage the constant Adobe XI Pro updates? Anything that'd make this less of a hassle would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pearlin
New Contributor III

I use policies and smart groups to deploy the Adobe Acrobat XI Pro updates. You can download the updates from Adobe as they are released: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/

I then have a smart group as follows (shown for latest version):

Application Title has Adobe Acrobat Pro.app and Application Version like 11. and Application Version is not 11.0.04

Finally, I have a policy that is scoped to the smart group that deploys a cached version of the update package from the Adobe ftp and a separate policy installs all cached updates on start up.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

pearlin
New Contributor III

I use policies and smart groups to deploy the Adobe Acrobat XI Pro updates. You can download the updates from Adobe as they are released: ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/

I then have a smart group as follows (shown for latest version):

Application Title has Adobe Acrobat Pro.app and Application Version like 11. and Application Version is not 11.0.04

Finally, I have a policy that is scoped to the smart group that deploys a cached version of the update package from the Adobe ftp and a separate policy installs all cached updates on start up.

makander
Contributor

Thank you Pearlin! I'll try that!

itupshot
Contributor II

Is there a way of making these updates run silently without having to quit Acrobat Pro?

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Run the update policies at logout. May not be helpful if all of the users are using laptops where they never log out, however...

itupshot
Contributor II

Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to get all my users to log out for anything other than to change their passwords.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Then policy notification and deferment (with some of the scripts here on JAMF Nation) may be in your future.

Not applicable

When I introduced Self Service it was tremendously helpful for my laptop users.

Push a notification that updates are available and direct to Self Service. Depending on the users, if they tend to not follow the instructions ("quit before clicking Install" etc) you may need to add a script that closes the app before installing the update, although I found that was so rarely the case that such scripts were unnecessary.