Inventory group Macs compatible with OSX 10.9

j99mac
Contributor

I am still running JSS v8. What is the best way to make an inventory group on Mac that support 10.9 Maverick?

7 REPLIES 7

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

You Want to scope things that are:

MacBook Pro - you'll need to have either a 13-inch from mid-2009, 15-inch from mid/late 2007 or 17-inch from late 2007 or later
MacBook - 13-inch 2008 from 2008 in aluminum, early 2009 or later
iMac - it needs to be mid 2007 or newer
MacBook Air - it needs to be ate 2008 or newer
Mac Mini - it needs to be early 2009 or newer
Mac Pro - it needs to be early 2008 or newer
Xserve - early 2009

Alternatively: any computer that is not: Macbook before 08 Pre Mid: 2007 MBP'S, Mini's, iMacs and the original MBA.

j99mac
Contributor

What is the best way to create any inventory group based on the list you provided of compatible Macs

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

If your using it just as an inventory search.. Create a search with: Model Is not (selected model)
or
Model Is not (selected model) or
Model is Not (selected model)

Else, if your scoping it to policies: Create a smart group.
(I Can't show you the correct name for things, as I don't have any 08 machines)
Have it exclude things with the is Not (Selected model)

external image link

Model Is not (selected model)
or
Model Is not (selected model) or
Model is Not (selected model)

This will create a smart group on models that can upgrade.

From that you can scope a policy to allow them, or in our case build a restriction that says "every machine" but exclude the smart group you've created.

j99mac
Contributor

Do you know if Intel Core 2 Duo are supported ? I am thinking of do the inventory group based on Processor not compatible.

rderewianko
Valued Contributor II

j99mac
Contributor

Thanks for the list is helpful

wyip
Contributor

I don't remember who posted this, but someone shared an EA that would determine the EFI type. You could use that as one of your criteria to determine whether or not a system is compatible with Mavericks, since (I think) 10.8 and 10.9 require EFI64.

#!/bin/bash

# returns the Mac's EFI bits

echo "<result>"`ioreg -l -p IODeviceTree | awk '/firmware-abi/ { split($0, line, """); printf("%s
", line[4]); }'`"</result>"

This will return either EFI32 or EFI64