CasperShare on a Linux box

bjbechd
New Contributor

I am a little confused here and hope that someone can help. Currently we have our JSS running on Mac OS X Server 10.8.5 and the Casper share is located on that server at "/Shared Items/CasperShare". We are exploring Linux as the next platform that our JSS will run on so we setup a test environment for it. I know that during the install on the Mac it sets up the casper share for you. My question is how does it do it for Linux? Does it setup the share somewhere or do I have to manually create the folder for the casper share and manually set premissions?

Let me know if any more data is needed. I am sure I left something out...

Thanks,
Beau

6 REPLIES 6

elislider
New Contributor

You will have to define a share path in the JSS web config after you install the JSS on the linux server. This could be a local path on the server, or in our case, we have a NFS storage system that I just pointed the JSS to a share on. The share must support Samba and I didn't feel like trying to configure Samba on Ubuntu to fully support windows, linux, and Mac sharing across local AND domain accounts, so we just used our NFS storage system as it is much easier to deal with.

lisacherie
Contributor II

This might help.. https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=215

Then you'll need to add the details of the new server into the web interface.

bjbechd
New Contributor

@elislider: Pardon my ignorance but with NFS is it a share presented to the JSS like a mounted drive or is a NFS share a completely seprate instance that you point the JSS to and it does not have to be "mounted on the JSS.

bjbechd
New Contributor

@lisacherie: Thanks for that link. I will take a look at that if we decide to move to SMB

elislider
New Contributor

I actually should reword what I said. We have an NFS storage system but it can create cifs/smb shares out of the NFS volumes. So for the purpose of this discussion you just need an smb share running on some host. It does not have to be mounted locally on the JSS server. Instead, once JSS is installed, in the web configuration you supply all the share information so the JSS can connect to that share as needed.

This assumes you want to host the Casper package data on a different server.

If you want to host the Casper package data on the same server as the JSS, its a little more complicated because its kind of a circular situation. You will have to install the samba tools and configure a samba share so that the server can broadcast the smb share, and then the JSS can link to that share. For our environment it was way too complicated to use the local samba method because the samba configuration is not straightforward at all to support a mix of local and domain credentials, so thats why i scrapped that and went for a windows cifs/smb share, so ease of permissions configuration with domain accounts

calum_carey
Contributor

you could also just install netatalk for AFP services on the linux box, or use apache to distribute files using http or all three